The late monarch passed away on 8th September 2022, aged 96, at her Balmoral estate. Her death launched the UK into a 10 day mourning period, and triggered an outpouring of grief across the world.
Marking one year on since his mother’s loss, King Charles III issued a public statement to pay tribute to the Queen.
“In marking the first anniversary of Her Late Majesty’s death and my accession, we recall with great affection her long life, devoted service and all she meant to so many of us,” the King said.
The monarch also added his thanks to the public for accepting him after he took to the throne.
“I am deeply grateful, too, for the love and support that has been shown to my wife and myself during this year as we do our utmost to be of service to you all.
In addition to his statement, Charles released a rare portrait of a young Elizabeth to mark the sombre occasion.
Showing the late Queen at 42, the portrait was taken by Sir Cecil Beaton during an official sitting at Buckingham Palace on October 16, 1968.
Elsewhere, Prince Harry has also paid respects to his grandmother.
The Duke of Sussex, 38, has briefly returned to the UK from his California home to visit the WellChild Award ceremony – a charity for which he is patron.
In a speech delivered at the awards, the Prince said the late Queen was “looking down on us all”.
“As you know, I was unable to attend the awards last year as my grandmother passed away,” he told onlookers.
“As you also probably know, she would have been the first person to insist that I still come to be with you all instead of going to her, and that’s precisely why I know exactly one year on that she is looking down on all of us tonight, happy we’re together, continuing to spotlight such an incredible community.”
The royals will return to Balmoral to mourn Queen Elizabeth II privately. It is not thought Prince Harry, who has spoken publicly about an ongoing rift with The Firm, will be in attendance.
You Might Also Like