Baby born three days after the abortion limit defies the odds to celebrate his first birthday

A baby born three days after the abortion limit has recently celebrated his first birthday [Photo: SWNS]

A premature baby born just three days after the abortion limit has beaten the odds to celebrate his first birthday and take his first steps.

Haris Mockbill was born at 24 weeks and three days weighing a tiny 750g (1lb 10oz) and was given almost no chance of survival by doctors.

The tot was born so prematurely his lungs were under developed and had chronic lung disease meaning he was unable to breathe on his own.

Doctors wrapped him in bubble wrap to stabilise his temperature, but after fighting to survive for two weeks his devastated parents were told to say their goodbyes.

However, after preparing themselves for the worst Haris’ parents Ellie Barr, 28, and Hassan Mockbill, 31, were thrilled to see their baby son pull through thanks to a last ditch attempt by doctors to save his life.

READ MORE: Premature baby born three months early was saved by bubble wrap

Haris was in the NICU when he was born [Photo: SWNS]

Now aged one, Haris weighs more than one stone and earlier this month took his very first steps.

Ellie, a community worker, from Birmingham, said: "We were told we were going to lose him. He was really struggling to breathe and his body was shutting down.

“We had a priest go into the hospital to baptise him because we thought it would have been our last day with him.

“I tried to cling on to hope but the doctor said most babies as poorly as Haris was just don’t make it.

“When he pulled through we just could not believe it. I wanted to make sure I did something special when he was getting better.

“We bought him a little gown and a hat. He looked so cute and it’s a special memory for us now.

“When we look back at the photo we realise how far he has come.”

READ MORE: Baby born without skin on almost his entire body defies doctors odds to survive

Haris' mum wasn't able to hold her son for 10 days [Photo: SWNS]

Having experienced frequent heavy bleeding throughout her pregnancy Ellie was closely monitored by doctors.

But on July 7 she experienced a heavier than usual bleed and was admitted to hospital with Haris being born, just two days later.

Ellie, who also has a two-year-old son, Elias, said: “The birth was really traumatic. It was lucky we were in the right place at the right time.

“He just decided he was coming. I had to push.

“We had no idea if he was alive or not.”

With Haris being whisked off to the NICU, the couple weren’t able to hold their son until he was ten days old.

Haris’ life was on the line because he was born with chronic lung disease meaning his lungs were not fully formed.

At two weeks old his condition deteriorated when his lungs filled with fluid and Doctors told Ellie and Hassan that despite their best efforts, Haris probably wouldn’t make it through the day.

“We all said our goodbyes,” Ellie recalls. “It was the worst thing I’ve ever had to go through. I really struggled because I could see he was fighting and I wanted to fight for him too.

“I tried to cling on to any bit of hope but the doctors said it would probably be our last day with him.”

But on July 25, Haris made a miraculous recovery after doctors gave him a strong course of steroids.

The eight-day course of medicine saved his life but a scan of his brain during his recovery discovered a bleed on the brain, meaning Haris may grow up to develop a disability.

“It was hard to take but as long as he’s still with us and not in pain, that’s all that matters,” Ellie says.

“When he pulled through we just couldn’t believe it. He has never stopped fighting.”

READ MORE: Couple stranded in Singapore with premature baby share images holding their son for the first time

Little Haris has just celebrated his first birthday [Photo: SWNS]

For the first two months of his life Haris was looked after in critical care - the highest level of supervision and support, but having been transferred to a cot on a special care ward, Haris was finally discharged from hospital completely just 19 days later on October 11.

Little Haris went on to celebrate his first birthday with a ‘massive party’ at home.

Ellie said: “He is a true inspiration and I am so proud of him.

“He has beaten the odds and overcome everything that was thrown at him. He never gave up.”

The family are campaigning for World Prematurity Day on 17 November and hope to raise awareness of the difficulties of parenting a premature baby.