- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Princess Beatrice’s wedding at the end of May could be impacted by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The princess, who is Prince Andrew’s oldest daughter, is due to marry her property developer boyfriend Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in London on 29 May.
But the spread of Covid-19 is causing the royal couple problems as they get closer to their wedding date, and the UK government cracks down on social engagements.
The ceremony for 150 guests is meant to take place in the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace in London, and the reception is planned for the garden of Buckingham Palace.
According to The Daily Telegraph, Beatrice, 31, and Mozzi had been planning to use the marquees and portaloos set up for the parties for their wedding party after their ceremony.
The Queen’s garden parties, which take place in May, will not be going ahead this year.
Latest coronavirus news, updates and advice
As there are no parties being held, the infrastructure will need to be set up specifically for the wedding guests, which may impact the cost.
There had already been concerns over the impact of coronavirus on the guest list. While the couple is planning a much smaller wedding than royal pairs of recent years, Mozzi’s family hails from Northern Italy, which has been one of the worst affected areas.
However a spokesman for Mozzi previously said he only had distant relatives in the area, so there may only have been a small impact on the guest list.
The 36-year-old was brought up in the UK and has chosen his young son to be his best man.
It’s also understood to be unlikely that Prince Philip, 98, will attend, though there were reports that he was keen to make the trip back down to London from Sandringham, where he spends most of his time now.
The couple has not publicly spoken about their plans for coping with the outbreak as they make the final preparations for the wedding.
But Mozzi has been tweeting about coronavirus, encouraging supermarkets to adopt a policy of opening their doors for elderly customers only during certain hours to help them avoid panic buyers.
The Royal Family has been following government advice when it comes to dealing with the outbreak.
They have been avoiding shaking hands at the various engagements they have carried out, including the Commonwealth Day Service and the Prince’s Trust Awards.
At 93, the Queen is in the age bracket considered high risk, as is her son Prince Charles who is 71 and his wife Camilla, who is 72.
On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace also announced changes to the Queen’s diary, including her moving to Windsor for Easter court a week earlier than previously planned.
The Maundy service on 9 April has been cancelled and a number of other events involving large numbers of people are likely to be cancelled or postponed.
However she will carry on with events for the week before she leaves London, including her audiences with the Bishop of Hereford and the prime minister, among others.
The palace said it would make announcements on Trooping the Colour and the 75th anniversary of VE Day in due course.
It’s also thought the pandemic will affect events like Royal Ascot.
The Chelsea Flower Show has been cancelled this year, amid government guidance to avoid unnecessary social contact and its decision to stop supporting mass gatherings.
According to the Royal Horticultural Society website, it is the first time Chelsea Flower Show has been cancelled since the Second World War.