When 18-year-old Abbie Kilbride got her braces removed, she figured she’d make the most of her new teeth by getting them whitened. But after one whitening session with a woman recommended to her by her friends, it all started to go horribly, horribly wrong.
Abbie was left with with swollen lips and third-degree burns after the treatment was carried out by someone who, it turns out, wasn’t even a dentist.
[Photo: Facebook/Abbie Kilbride]
She described the terrible ordeal on Facebook, and the post has been shared more than 8,000 times.
After the treatment the swelling didn’t go down despite using ice and antihistamines. When she paid a visit to her GP, they apparently laughed it off and told her it was a ‘lesson learned’.
‘Lesson learned’? Really, GP?
When texts to the woman who performed the treatment received no response, it was only after an emergency dental appointment that she was told she had third degree burns and a severe allergic reaction.
For Abbie, the moral of the story is this:
‘DO NOT just go to anyone to get your teeth whitened I was completely unaware that only a dentist can [give] you this treatment so if your booked in anywhere other than a dentist / dental nurse please please stay away!’ (sic)
Point taken, Abbie.
Have you ever suffered as a result of dodgy teeth whitening? Tweet us at @YahooStyleUK.