Prince Harry and Meghan Markle move into new home with baby Archie

Rebecca Taylor
·Royal Correspondent
·3-min read
CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA - SEPTEMBER 25: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and their baby son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe at the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation during their royal tour of South Africa on September 25, 2019 in Cape Town, South Africa. (Photo by Toby Melville - Pool/Getty Images)
The couple have moved out of the mansion they borrowed from a friend. Pictured in South Africa in 2019. (Getty Images)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have moved into their new family home with son Archie after spending lockdown at a friend’s Beverly Hills mansion.

The Sussexes were living in Tyler Perry’s eight-bedroom, 12-bathroom mansion in California, after crossing the border from Canada before it closed to tackle the spread of coronavirus in March.

But after spending a few months of lockdown in the mansion they have now moved into what they hope will be their permanent family home.

A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year.

“They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbours, as well as for them as a family.”

The couple joined from the home they're staying in in LA. (QCT)
Harry and Meghan gave some glimpses into the home in LA, like this one in a call with the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. (QCT)

Read more: Meghan Markle says 'I know what it's like to feel voiceless'

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been living and working in Perry’s mansion, with glimpses of it visible in the background of zoom video calls they released to tie in with their work.

However they had to file a lawsuit against unnamed and unknown paparazzi when they found pictures of Archie were being touted to media organisations.

Archie, who turned one in May, had not left the home since the couple moved in mid-March, and the couple said the pictures breached California’s privacy laws.

They said they had seen drones overhead taking pictures and claimed holes had been cut in the fence to snap Archie in the home’s back garden.

Read more: Nine things we learned about Prince Harry and Meghan as Finding Freedom is released

Harry and Meghan were given Frogmore Cottage in the grounds of Windsor Castle by the Queen after their wedding and decided to move there to raise their son Archie, before they opted to step back from the Royal Family.

As part of the deal when they stepped back from royal duties, they offered to repay the £2.4million refurbishment of the Windsor home, which had been funded by the UK taxpayer.

It’s understood this is happening by way of a rent plus agreement, where they pay a larger sum of rent each month to both keep the property as their UK base and repay the money spent on renovations.

The revelation of the family’s move comes the day after the release of the biography Finding Freedom, which charts their life from dating to leaving their senior duties.

A spokesperson for the couple denied that they had cooperated with the book. Authors say they had spoken to 100 sources.

Among the revelations in the book, was the claim that Harry and Meghan had the US in mind when they charted their move away from the Royal Family, which is why they suggested they would split their time between “North America” and the UK.