Why some mums are calling for fidget spinners to be recalled

·Contributor, Yahoo Life UK
Should fidget spinners be recalled and labelled a choking hazard [Photo: Instagram/gladalax]
Should fidget spinners be recalled and labelled a choking hazard [Photo: Instagram/gladalax]

Fidget spinners are the latest playground craze, but some mums and child safety groups have labelled the hand-held toys dangerous and are calling for them to be recalled.

Several mums have taken to social media to share some pretty scary stories about the dangers of fidget spinners including choking hazards and injuries. And Kids In Danger (KID) – a nonprofit organisation committed to protecting children by improving the safety of children’s products – have also raised concerns about the palm-sized gadgets.

Buzzfeed reported that 23-year-old mum, Johely Morelos, from Oregon believes the toys should be recalled and given a choking hazard after her son Cayden swallowed part of his fidget spinner.

The incident came days after she’d told him the story of a Texas girl who had to be taken to hospital after choking on a detachable part of her fidget spinner.

But the warning wasn’t enough to prevent Cayden putting a loose part of the toy in his own mouth. Staff at the local hospital were unable to remove the part from his chest and he needed to be transferred to another hospital to get the disc surgically removed.

“This is what Cayden swallowed,” she wrote on Facebook alongside an image of the disc. “Don’t let your kids get a fidget spinner unless you absolutely think that they are responsible enough.”

Now the mum, along with a leading child safety advocacy group, believes fidget spinners should be required to have a choking hazard warning.

“If it is releasing small parts it should be recalled because it doesn’t have warnings on the packaging,” Nancy Cowles, the executive director of Kids in Danger, told BuzzFeed News.

It follows news that on fidget spinner manufacturer has initiated a recall of its LED Fidget Spinner over fears the popular toy’s design could lead to serious injury – “even death”.

The particular model released by manufacturer, Ace of Hearts, has been recalled for failing to conceal its button battery securely.

Children who swallow a button battery are exposed to serious health risks including getting lodged in the oesophagus and burning a hole through its lining.

#school#fun#funtime#autistic#fidgetspinner#toy#cool#hey#hello#haveaniceday#floor#colors#yellow

A post shared by Aleksander :> (@jurnyjuhas) on May 25, 2017 at 4:34am PDT

And it isn’t just choking that parents are concerned about. Earlier this month an Australian mum went online to warn other parents of the dangers of a popular playground toy after her son “nearly lost his eye” while performing tricks with his fidget spinner.

The Australian mum, known only as Molly, was horrified when her 11-year-old son, Isaac suffered a painful injury after throwing one of the toys up in the air.

“He threw the spinner up a little higher and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch,” Molly told Kidspot.

“He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”

Suddenly those unboxing videos on YouTube aren’t looking such a bad prospect.

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for non-stop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day. For Twitter updates, follow @YahooStyleUK.

Read more from Yahoo Style UK:

Will the Manchester attack affect how we parent?

The Duchess of Cambridge was ALL mums at Pippa Middleton’s wedding

Dad wins the Internet after gluing a feeding tube to his stomach to support his ill son

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting