Harry and Meghan's Sussex Royal director quits as couple plans non-profit

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Royal Correspondent
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 09: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex meets children as she attends the Commonwealth Day Service 2020 on March 09, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Harry and Meghan look set to launch the new organisation from outside the UK. (Getty Images)

The director of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s trading company has quit, showing the couple could be preparing to launch outside the UK.

Natalie Campbell was the director of MWX Trading Ltd, of which Sussex Royal was a person with significant control.

Papers filed with Companies House last week show that she stepped down from the role at the end of February.

MWX Trading was set up to support Sussex Royal, including in filing trademark applications.

James Holt has been appointed as a new director.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Holt’s appointment is likely to be temporary, in order to file relevant paperwork.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 07: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the Mountbatten Festival of Music at Royal Albert Hall on March 07, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage)
Prince Harry will have to give up his ceremonial titles when he steps back. (Getty Images)

Prince Harry and Meghan agreed not to use the word royal in their branding after they step back from senior royal duties on 31 March.

They had been thought to be preparing to set up a foundation called Sussex Royal.

Read more: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle address coronavirus outbreak: 'These are uncertain times'

However despite arguing that the Queen does not have jurisdiction of the word royal outside the UK, they agreed not to use it in their own branding.

They have since said they will be setting up a non-profit, rather than a foundation.

Former director Campbell is to become the new chief executive of Belu Water. She worked for the couple directly after a time at the Royal Foundation.

The Telegraph reports the remaining directors of Sussex Royal will not have anything to do with the new non-profit.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 05: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend The Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House on March 5, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Harry and Meghan decided to step back from senior royal duties. (Getty Images)

Harry and Meghan confirmed when they were in the UK that they had been having meetings with Stanford University, saying they met to experience their “virtual reality presentation that allows the user to experience life through another person’s point of view”.

Read more: Princess Beatrice's wedding in doubt after reception cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak

The couple is thought to be in Canada, where it is reported they are taking precautions over coronavirus.

Prince Harry hugged Lewis Hamilton when he was opening the Silverstone Experience with him while back in the UK.

Hamilton had been with Idris Elba, who has contracted Covid-19.

NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - MARCH 06: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex embraces Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton as he officially opens The Silverstone Experience at Silverstone on March 6, 2020 in Northampton, England. (Photo by Peter Nicholls-WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Harry came into contact with Lewis Hamilton, who was with Idris Elba, who has Covid-19. (Getty Images)

A spokesman for Sussex Royal told the Telegraph: "As has previously been announced, The Duke and Duchess are in the process of establishing a new not-for-profit organisation that can best support their global charitable, campaign and philanthropic work.

“More information on the new organisation will be announced shortly."

Although Harry and Meghan have now completed their final royal duties, they are still senior royals until 31 March.

They will step back and be able to make their own money from then. However, they are to retain their patronages privately.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting