[ See more Bumps, Babies and Beyond: Mocktail masterclass]
It’s easy to lose heart when your child turns their nose up at virtually every dish served. So Annabel Karmel suggests a delicious fish pie made in mini pots so your child has an individual portion that looks attractive, full of nutrients and excellent for developing young brains.
Bumps, Babies & Beyond with Myleene Klass is a 48-part video series exclusive to Yahoo! Lifestyle.
Tune in every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new episodes.
Serves: 4–6 portions
800 g (1 3/4 lb) potatoes
30 g (1 oz) butter
7 tbsp milk
4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the sauce
45 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
1 large shallot, diced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
45 g (1 1/2 oz) flour
450 ml (15 fl oz) fish stock
6 tbsp double cream
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill or chives, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
Fish and pea filling
300g (10 oz) salmon, skin removed and cut into 2 cm (3/4 in) chunks
300 g (10 oz) cod, skin removed and cut into 2 cm (3/4 in) chunks
70 g (2 1/2 oz) frozen peas
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6. Boil the potatoes in salted water. Drain and mash with the butter, milk and Parmesan and season to taste.
2. To make the sauce, melt the butter and sauté the shallot for 5–6 minutes until soft. Add the white wine vinegar and boil for 2–3 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Gradually, stir in the fish stock and then cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously.
4. Bring to the boil then cook stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and the chopped dill or chives. Season well as the fish is unseasoned.
5. Divide the fish and peas among four or six mini ramekins (depending on the size) and pour over the sauce.
Tip: If you have time, allow the fish, pea and sauce filling to cool and become less liquid and easier to cover with the mashed potato, without it sinking into the filling.
6. Brush the potato topping with a little beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes.