In the Standard's Simply Spiced series, each fortnight food writer Mallika Basu will create a recipe centring around a specific spice. In this instalment, Mallika creates a fresh dip perfect for summer BBQs.
This fresh, floral butter bean dip is the perfect chilled way to end a hot summer day when you fancy something nutritious and quick as you plop in front of the TV.
I can also confirm it is great for picnics and BBQs. Serve it cold with a ripped flatbread of your choice or dress it up with cold meats, crudites and lots of lemon juice.
- 1 x 400gm tin of organic butter beans
- 1 flat clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 4 sprigs fresh flat parsley
- Half tsp fennel seeds or fennel powder
- Half tsp cumin seeds or cumin powder
- Half tsp salt
- 1 tbsp quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chilli flakes and freshly cracked black pepper to serve
Drain the beans over a jug to reserve the liquid. Put them in a high speed blender (a smoothie maker will do) with half the reserved bean liquid (aqua faba) and the rest of the ingredients.
Blend once, scraping the beans that splatter onto the sides of the blender back into the jug with a spatula. Then blend again until smooth.
Serve chilled in a bowl drizzled with more olive oil, the chilli flakes and black pepper.