Thousands of parents eligible to apply for £150 grant to buy new school uniform

Thousands of parents are eligible for a new £150 grant to buy school uniform [Image: Getty]
Thousands of parents are eligible for a new £150 grant to buy school uniform [Image: Getty]

If you’re struggling to find the money for a fresh set of school uniform for your children, there could be a helping hand.

Thousands of parents are now eligible for a £150 grant to buy a new set for their kids in time for the next academic year starting in September.

The School Uniform Grant is a one-off discount to help cover back to school costs for those in England and Scotland.

Applications for the scheme - created as part of the Education Act 1980 to help families on low incomes - open today, Sunday 30th June.

READ MORE: Mum goes to her late daughter's school prom in memory of her 'last wish'

All you need to do is visit and enter your postcode.

How much you can expect to claim also depends on the area you live in.

In Scotland, all local authorities have to hand over at least £100 per child for school uniform.

However, in England it is not considered a statutory right and many councils have opted out of the scheme, or reduced the amount, in funding rows.

READ MORE: How much is too much to contribute to a teacher's end-of-year present?

Residents of York are given £70, while those in London’s Islington are eligible for £150.

Stockton, Cornwall, Cambridgeshire and Northumberland don’t offer parents anything.

Children with special educational needs in Nottinghamshire are given help.

However, to qualify for the grant your annual income must be less than £16,190.

READ MORE: Simon Cowell sparks debate after saying he wants son Eric to leave school aged 10

Additionally, you must be receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Income support

  • Job seeker's allowance (income based)

  • Child tax credit (providing you are not entitled to working tax credit)

  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

  • State pension (this benefit must be your sole source of income)

  • Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

  • Universal Credit

READ MORE: Mum turns to the Internet for advice after no one shows up to 6-year-old's birthday party

You must also show that you are legally responsible for your child by sending the school admissions and benefits team a recent copy of your bank statement that confirms the payment of child benefit to your account.

If you live in Wales, there is a Pupil Development Grant (PDG) instead, with applications opening in July.

Still unsure? Check with your local authority to see whether you are eligible, or with your school to find out if they offer any discounts.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo Style UK: