Two players for the Victoriaville Tigres of the QMJHL have been suspended indefinitely after they were both formally charged of sexual assault by police earlier this week.
Nineteen-year-olds Massimo Siciliano and Nicolas Daigle both appeared in court in Quebec City on Tuesday, and the major junior hockey league made its decision the following day.
— QMJHL (@QMJHL) October 6, 2021
“These are charges that the QMJHL takes very seriously,” the league said in a statement released on Wednesday. “The respect and the integrity of individuals are at the core of the league’s values and violent sexual behaviour of any sort has no place in a sports environment like ours. We feel great sympathy for the victims of physical and sexual violence and the league stands by its zero-tolerance policy in that regard.”
The alleged incident took place on June 6 of this year after the team won the QMJHL title. Both players have been charged with sexual assault and filming what occurred. Daigle also faces two charges of sharing images of the assault.
Daigle and Siciliano appeared in games for Victoriaville throughout the pre-season as the investigation was taking place, and played two regular season matches, most recently on Oct. 1, less than a week before their scheduled court date.
“The charges made public yesterday are serious and the organization condemns any behavior of sexual misconduct or violence. The Victoriaville Tigres fully support the decision rendered by the QMJHL in this matter, ” the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Tigers, Mr. Charles Pellerin said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Tigres will reportedly cooperate with the league and authorities in the continuing investigation.
More from Yahoo Sports