Advertisement

Princess of Wales ‘still doing well’, Palace insists amid health speculation

The Princess of Wales had to cancel a series of engagements to undergo the surgery
The Princess of Wales had to cancel a series of engagements to undergo the surgery - Samir Hussein/WireImage

Kensington Palace has reassured the public that the Princess of Wales is “still doing well” as she recovers from major surgery out of the public eye.

The statement came amid growing speculation about her health on social media. The Palace said “nothing has changed” since an update in January gave some details of the Princess’s abdominal surgery and recovery period.

“We always said that the Princess of Wales would be out until Easter, and we are not making any further comments,” said a spokesman. “The Princess of Wales is still doing well.”

The mother-of-three has been out of the public eye since Christmas. She, along with the rest of the family, had been expected to return to work in mid-January but instead had to cancel a series of engagements to undergo the surgery.

On Jan 17, Kensington Palace said in a written statement: “The surgery was successful, and it is expected that she will remain in hospital for 10 to 14 days before returning home to continue her recovery. Based on the current medical advice, she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter.

“The Princess of Wales appreciates the interest this statement will generate. She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible and her wish that her personal medical information remains private.

“Kensington Palace will, therefore, only provide updates on Her Royal Highness’ progress when there is significant new information to share.”

One further official update has been issued since then to confirm that the surgery was a success, with the Princess “doing well” and at home.

She is understood to have been at Adelaide Cottage, Windsor, with the Prince and their children since, making a short half-term break to Anmer Hall in Norfolk.

The Prince of Wales has resumed his public duties, including a rescheduled trip to a synagogue on Thursday, which the couple had originally planned to make together together to mark Holocaust Memorial Day.

Renee Salt, a 94-year-old Holocaust survivor, held his hand and told him: “I know if your wife had been well she would have been here. I miss her so much, I really do. Give her my best wishes.”

At the same event, the Prince told Jewish students: “Both Catherine and I are extremely concerned about the rise in anti-Semitism you guys have talked about this morning, and I’m just so sorry any of you have had to experience that. It has no place and it shouldn’t have.”

When the Prince pulled out of a memorial service for his godfather King Constantine of Greece on Tuesday, a Palace source said that it was for “personal” reasons and repeated that the Princess was still doing well.

The Palace has said it would not offer a “running commentary” on the Princess’s recovery.