Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'shopped around' before signing Netflix deal

Rebecca Taylor
·Royal Correspondent
·3-min read

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pitched themselves as producers to multiple TV networks before they settled on a deal with Netflix, the company’s co-chief executive has revealed.

Reed Hastings praised the couple for being “smart” about their future collaborators and said his network came up with the best complete package for them.

He told CNBC: “It’s going to be epic entertainment, so excited about that deal.

“They’re smart, they were shopping it around across all the major companies.

“And I think we really put together the best complete package and we are going to do a wide range of entertainment with them.”

He said he could not reveal any more details on the content yet, but added: “I think it’ll be some of the most exciting, most viewed content next year.”

However a YouGov poll conducted soon after the announcement found that 64% of respondents had “no interest at all” in watching content from the couple.

Only 3% of UK respondents said they are “very interested”.

Asked whether Meghan will make a return to acting in any of the programmes, he said: “No, the real focus for them is on being producers and building up production capacity

“They have developed a great eye for story and we will be working with them on that basis.”

Read more: Can Harry and Meghan really make it as superstar film-makers?

Harry, 35, and Meghan, 39, were confirmed to have signed a multi-year deal with Netflix last week, with plans to produce documentaries, scripted series and children’s programming.

A nature documentary and a children’s animated series about inspiring women are the first of the couple’s projects which are already underway.

Neither side has confirmed how much the deal is worth, but Harry and Meghan put £2.4m into paying off the renovations on their Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage, within days of signing.

Britain's Prince Harry and wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex walk during a visit at the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia October 16, 2018. REUTERS/Phil Noble     TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY
Harry and Meghan, in Sydney in 2018, shopped around before signing the deal with Netflix. (Reuters)

Read more: Will anyone watch Harry and Meghan on Netflix? Poll shows 64% of Brits are not interested at all

The couple had promised to pay off the cost of work that was done when they moved in to Frogmore cottage, after being given the home by the Queen as a wedding present.

A previous deal involved them paying it off via a rent plus arrangement. They’re now just paying monthly commercial rent on the home, which they will keep as their British base.

Harry revealed he hopes to be back in the UK next year, for the Rugby League World Cup, and said he would have returned in 2020 were it not for travel restrictions linked to coronavirus.