This butter chicken recipe can be made as hot or as mild as you wish - a perfect meal for curry lovers who want to keep it simple.
You will need
2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp garlic, crushed
1 tsp ginger, crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp ground almonds
220 g can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp fresh coriander or spinach, chopped
1 large frying pan
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1. Begin by seasoning the chicken with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
2. Using a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and add the chicken.
3. Fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes until it turns a golden-brown colour.
4. Take the chicken out of the frying pan and put it aside.
5. Use the same frying pan to melt the butter.
6. Now add the onion and cinnamon and fry together in the pan.
7. At this point add the crushed garlic, crushed ginger, turmeric, chilli powder, almonds, peeled tomatoes, tomato paste and the natural yoghurt. Stir all of the ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
8. Bring the ingredients to a boil and stir for 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Put the chicken back into the pan and combine with the other ingredients.
10. To compliment the dish, add the coriander (or fresh spinach if you prefer) and mix with the sauce.
Spoon the chicken and the sauce onto a large serving dish and serve with rice and naan bread.