Fisher-price issues warning to parents after portable baby sleeper linked to ten infant deaths

Lauren Clark
Contributor
Parents have been warned after the deaths of ten children using a particular portable cot [Image: Getty]

The deaths of ten children in recent years have lead to parents being warned to stop using a portable cot.

As soon as their infant is able to roll over they have been urged by the United States’ Consumer Product Safety Commission to stop using the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper.

On Friday, both the commission and American company – which sells toys and babywear globally – linked the product to ten fatalities since 2015.

They revealed that the children, who were all three months or older, had rolled while unrestrained onto their stomach or side from their back.

Fisher-Price warns parents over baby deaths linked to cot [Image: Fisher-Price]

READ MORE: A mum has warned about co-sleeping danger after her hair nearly choked her baby

The announcement did not specify exactly how the cot had caused the infants to die.

However parents have been asked to “never add blankets, pillows, stuffed toys, or other items to the environment”.

They were also encouraged to put their children to sleep on their backs.

Fisher-Price had previously warned those who purchased the product to stop using it as soon as their babies could roll over and potentially fall.

READ MORE: A father was jailed for continuing to sell a cot design that caused his baby to choke to death

In a recent statement, the company stated: “The reported deaths show that some consumers are still using the product when infants are capable of rolling and without using the three point harness restraint.”

The company’s general manager, Chuck Scothon said that a “child fatality is an unimaginable tragedy”.

But he added that the product meets all “applicable safety standards”.

“Fisher-Price and every one of our employees take the responsibility of being part of your family seriously, and we are committed to earning that trust every day,” he explained.

READ MORE: A sleep expert has raised concerns about Scotland’s baby boxes

A spokesperson for the commission, Patty Davis, revealed that the most recent death was reported last month.

She said they are currently investigating the cot.

“If it turns out that it needs to be recalled, we will move forward with that,” she told told CNN.

—Watch the latest videos from Yahoo—