Cate Blanchett To Stage #MeToo Protest In Cannes

The Editors
Photo credit: Getty Images

From ELLE

Cate Blanchett is expected to take part in a protest on the Cannes red carpet this Saturday, in support of the #MeToo movement. The actress – who is president of the Cannes jury this year – will march alongside around 100 other actresses and female film directors, according to WWD.

The march will take place this Saturday 12 May on the red carpet and will be dedicated to women of cinema and held in support of the #MeToo movement. It has not yet been revealed exactly what the protest will entail but it could take its cue from the Golden Globe and Bafta protests, where all the women wore black.

'It will be a march dedicated to the women of cinema,' Cannes director Thierry Fremaux said at a press conference on Monday. 'Not only Cannes but the whole world changed last September.'

Photo credit: Getty Images

Following a wave of sexual harassment allegations in Hollywood late last year, Cannes has made some significant changes to the way the festival is run. This includes partnering up with the French Ministry of Gender Equality and setting up hotlines for victims of sexual, physical and emotional assault.

Blanchett has been very vocal about her support for women in film since she arrived at the festival on Monday. The actress has even commented on the lack of female directors nominated for this year's coveted Palme d'Or award. Of the 21 films nominated, only three are directed by women.

'Would I like to see more women in competition? Absolutely,' Blanchett told the BBC.'Do I expect and hope that it's going to happen in the future? I hope so.'

She added, however that the change 'won't happen overnight.'

You Might Also Like