On your birthday, blowing out the candles on your birthday cake is an absolute must. Otherwise your wishes won’t come true, right?
Well, perhaps the wishes aren’t worth it - because it turns out the tradition is actually really gross.
Because if you think about it, by blowing out candles you are kind of… spitting on everyone’s food, aren’t you?
According to a study done by Clemson University, significant increases in bacteria were found in the icing on birthday cakes after the candles were blown out.
Donna Duberg, an assistant professor of Clinical Laboratory Science from Saint Louis University, told Men’s Health that letting your kids do it is particularly gross as children are “virtual petri dishes of everything”.
Ewww. You barely have to consider it, because we know they totally are.
Duberg recommends giving kids a mini cake instead. They can blow the candles out on this, but have it - and their saliva - all to themselves instead.
Time to get those cupcake-baking skills up to scratch.
What do you think? Is blowing out candles gross, or a tradition that has to stay? Tweet us at @YahooStyleUK.