Whether you’re celebrating a new job, moving house, a new year or even just getting through another working week, a glass of bubbly always goes down a treat.
Champagne might not be all that affordable, but prosecco gives us the chance to indulge more regularly. It’s fruitier and tastes just as fancy - but doesn’t break the bank.
Other differences include the grapes used: prosecco is used with Italian grapes, while Champagne can only be called that if it is made in the prestigious French region of the same name.
Prosecco is available in a variety of fizziness: spumante (sparkling), frizzante (semi-sparkling) and tranquilo (still). You’ll often find the letters DOC or DOCG stamped on the label of a bottle of prosecco. These letters guarantee the high quality of the sparkling beverage.
But, with so many bottles of bubbly to choose from, how do you know which to buy?
We’ve done the leg work and rounded up 12 of the best bottles of prosecco available to buy in the UK. Each has received sparkling reviews from customers or won industry awards.
Shop 12 of the best budget bottles of prosecco
1. Lidl Allini Prosecco Frizzante DOC | £5.25 | Shop it now
Why choose: It won bronze at The Prosecco Masters 2017
2. Waitrose NV, Glera, Italian, Prosecco | £7.89 | Shop it now
Why choose: “This light and delicious prosecco has delicate bubbles and a fresh aroma,” said one glowing reviewer said on the Waitrose website.
3. Tesco Finest Prosecco Valdobbiadene | £10 | Shop it now
Why choose: One prosecco fan on Tesco’s website said: “It tastes better than Champagne.”
4. Co-op Irresistible Prosecco | £8 | Shop it now
Why choose: It won bronze at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2017
5. Terra Organica Prosecco | £9.32 (WAS £13.99) | Shop it now
Why choose: “Great flavour, very well balanced and not overly sweet. Love that it's organic too!” one happy customer on Ocado reads.
6. Aldi Lot Folletto D’Oro Prosecco DOCG | £9.99 | Shop it now
Why choose: “Incredible value for a superb quality product,” said one Aldi shopper.
7. Lidl Prosecco Spumante Conegliano | £7.99 | Shop it now
Why choose: It won a silver award at The Drinks Business 2017
8. Tesco Dino Prosecco DOC | £7.50 | Shop it now
Why choose: This Tesco customer said it was “fruity and delicious, quite dry but no bitter after taste.”
9. Morrisons The Best Prosecco DOC | £7 (WAS £8) | Shop it now
Why choose: “Dry and very bubbly. 10/10 prosecco. Attractive packaging which is a bonus, could be gifted. Will buy again,” said this gleeful Morrisons customer.
10. The Society’s Prosecco | £10.50 | Shop it now
Why choose: This customer sang its praises: “Outstanding. Crisp, dry and everything you'd look for in a sparkling wine. Favourite prosecco ever!”
11. Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Conegliano Prosecco | £8 | Shop it now
Why choose: One reviewer on Sainsburys said: “Nice mouthfeel (not too aggressive a fizz); good tartness; a small win for those on a budget.”
12. Tesco Freixenet Prosecco DOC | £9 | Shop it now
Why choose: “This isn't for everyones taste, but if you like sweet prosecco then this is for you! The beautiful bottle design also deserves mentioning,” said one Tesco shopper.
The editors at Yahoo UK are committed to finding you the best products at the best prices. At times, Yahoo UK may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page.