- This year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, which lasted from July 28, 1914, to November 11, 1918.
- The royal family marks the anniversary each year by attending memorial services in honor of those who lost their lives.
- 2018 is Meghan Markle's first year at the event, and fans have been wondering why she appeared on a different balcony from Kate Middleton.
Meghan Markle made two separate appearances on Remembrance Day this year-appearing on the balcony overlooking the Cenotaph in London during the morning, and attending an evening service at Westminster Abbey.
As Meghan has been attending Armistice events as a member of the royal family for the very first time this year, fans have been understandably excited to see the Duchess of Sussex in her new role. But many have been questioning why Kate Middleton stood with Queen Elizabeth and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall for the morning service, while Meghan viewed the event alongside the German First Lady, Elke Büdenbender.
According to People, there's a very simple reason for Kate standing with the Queen, while Meghan was on a different balcony. The publication explains that "During official events, the royal family also arranges themselves according to a royal 'pecking order.'" Meaning that Meghan and Kate stood where they needed to stand, according to their rank.
And as Hello! magazine notes, Prince Philip's absence from the event-since his retirement from official duties-is significant, as the Queen's husband would have ordinarily joined her on the balcony, instead of Kate Middleton.
Clearly, there was no ill intention regarding Meghan's position on the balcony, and later in the day, the fab four reunited at Westminster Abbey, much to the delight of their fans:
For more royals and can't-miss fashion and beauty news, sign up for the Harper's BAZAAR Newsletter.
('You Might Also Like',)
- The Essential British Packing List
- 30 Facial Moisturizers for Every Budget
- We Cut Bangs on 16 Different Women With The Help of Celebrity Stylist Justine Marjan