The last few months have seen us explore the four corners (so to speak) of our island more than ever before.
With summer holidays cancelled and far flung destinations off limits, the British public made it their mission to enjoy all that the UK had to offer, and many of us were pleasantly surprised by what we found.
Now, with ongoing restrictions and travel corridors ever-changing, we're more in need of UK inspiration than ever.
Luckily, Lonely Planet has published its Ultimate Travel List 2020, naming the UK home to more of the planet’s must-see places than anywhere else.
Our beautiful island stormed the rankings with more spots than any other country in the world.
In total, 34 UK attractions appeared on the chart of 500 travel experiences — a welcome slice of news for our upcoming autumn staycations.
The long list was compiled from all the highlights found in every Lonely Planet guidebook over the years. Each attraction and sight recommended by Lonely Planet authors was included, before being whittled down to a shortlist.
Everyone in the Lonely Planet community was then asked to vote on their 20 top travel experiences, resulting in a score for each entry and a definitive ranked list of the top 500 places to see around the world.
So, get your notebook out, here are the 20 highest-ranking UK attractions and sights to add to your travel list. Just be sure to check the latest government travel advice here before for where you live, and where you want to visit, before you set off:
- Lake District, England (ranked 40)
2. British Museum, England (ranked 56)
3. Wales Coastal Path, Wales (ranked 82)
4. Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland (ranked 102)
5. Jurassic Coast, England (ranked 116)
6. Brecon Beacons, Wales (ranked 153)
7. Snowdonia, Wales (ranked 161)
8. V&A Museum, England (ranked 170)
9. West Highland Way, Scotland (ranked 172)
10. Glen Coe, Scotland (ranked 212)
11. Seven Sisters Chalk Cliffs, England (ranked 219)
12. Loch Lochmond, Scotland (ranked 224)
13. Stonehenge, England (ranked 227)
14. Skara Brae, Scotland (ranked 238)
15. Edinburgh's Royal Mile, Scotland (ranked 248)
16. Bath's Roman Baths, England (ranked (267)
17. Tower of London, England (ranked 283)
18. St Paul's Cathedral, England (ranked 291)
19. Scotland's Northeast 250, Scotland (ranked 302)
20. Christchurch Oxford, England (ranked 314)
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
You Might Also Like