We all know that trips to the supermarket have become even less enjoyable – and possible – recently. Many items are missing from the shelves; making everything all that little bit harder.
If you’re struggling to get hold of bread at the moment, did you ever think of making it yourself? Admittedly, the idea of making bread from scratch can seem a little daunting, but not the way this woman does it.
Dannielle Luttrell from Hobart, Tasmania, has gone viral on Facebook after sharing her method for making bread in a slow cooker.
Her recipe for “literally the best bread ever” has got itself 37,000 like and hundreds of thousands of shares.
And the best part is, there are only three steps. How easy is that?!
Slow cooker bread ingredients:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups of warm milk
- 2 tbsp melted UNSALTED butter
- 1-3 tbsp sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)
- 3 tbsp active dry yeast (conservative side)
- 6 cups whole wheat flour (or three cups whole wheat & three cups all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
How to make slow cooker bread:
- Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tbsp of sugar, 3 tbsp of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes (no longer - mine went all over the place the first time!) – it should be frothy on the top. While you're waiting, warm 2 cups of milk and 2 tbsp of butter in microwave.
- Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)
- Line your slow cooker with baking paper and place in your round ball of dough. It will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on high power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. I put mine (just the loaf) in the oven on broil/grill for less than 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top too!
So, what are you waiting for – get that slow cooker bread on the go!
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.