Yesterday, we brought you a slow cooker recipe that we thought couldn’t possibly be beaten. This three-ingredient banana bread is the stuff of slow cooker dreams, so what could possibly threaten to knock it off the slow cooker recipe top spot?
A recipe for homemade Kentucky Fried Chicken was shared on the Crockpot/Slow Cooker Recipes & Tips Facebook page a little while ago, but it’s started doing the rounds again. Probably because it’s so damn delicious.
The woman (who deserves a medal, quite honestly) who shared the image of her homemade KFC, captioned it: “This is my KFC fakeaway. You can make southern fried chicken in the slow cooker. You’re welcome.”
And here’s how she does it:
- Chicken breast fillets
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Lightly spray slow cooker with Olive Oil spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and milk.
- Add spices to flour in another bowl for dredging chicken. Add crumbs to a shallow dish and spread out for coating.
- Dip fillets, one at a time, into the egg mixture and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge each fillet into flour mixture and dip again into egg mixture.
- Coat fillets crumbs and press crumbs onto chicken. Complete this process for each fillet.
- Spray each filet, on both sides, with olive cooking spray and place side by side in the slow cooker.
- Lightly sprinkle the top of each filet with pepper. Cover and cook on high for 2 hrs 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and allow to continue cooking for 10 minutes. Removing the lid helps the chicken get crunchier.
Sidenote: But just remember to pre-heating on high always helps. And the tea towel method helps too.
Simple or what?!
And if you want to go the whole hog, how about adding some Bisto Southern Style gravy to your homemade KFC supper?
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.