The BBC has released a statement that (happily) seems to confirm there will be a 2020 series. However, it's not all good news, as the upcoming season is set to be shorter than we've previously been used to.
"The Strictly Come Dancing team are doing everything they can to bring the nation plenty of Strictly magic later this year," a spokesperson for the show said.
"To ensure we deliver the high standards audiences know and love, and in light of the ongoing considerations around COVID-19, this year’s series of Strictly will have a slightly shorter run than usual.
"The safety of our cast and crew is of the utmost importance to us and further updates will be made in due course," it concluded.
For now, it remains unclear how long the series will be. Watch this space for more news.
Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Social distancing
The BBC's Charlotte Moore said the show would need to "change", and discussed the possibility of eliminating studio audiences in order to cut down the number of people in proximity with cast and crew.
"The other thing I would say is [people think] if it is shiny floor, it needs an audience, and I don't think that's necessarily true," she said.
"When you look at something like Drag Race, which is a big shiny floor talent competition with all sorts of catwalks, singing, dancing, impressions – it never has an audience.
"The audience is the four judges and I don't think it suffers from that at all. I think it is a brilliant show!"
Moore added that finding a way to have Strictly on screens this autumn remains "one of our big priorities", but added: "I think inevitably things are going to change."
Judge Craig Revel Horwood has also spoken about the changes that will have to be made.
"There is some way around it, there has to be. People love the show, it's great entertainment," he said. "We really want it back and I know BBC One are working extremely hard to make that happen for the audience."
Recalling his experience working on Australia's Dancing with the Stars, which had to make changes to its most recent run due to the pandemic, the judge said: "We managed to do it without a studio audience.
"And when people needed to be isolated, one couple, for instance, stayed in a hotel for two weeks and they performed live from the hotel rooftop!"
According to Craig, "remote cameras" were set up and it turned out to be "absolutely amazing".
However, dancers isolating away from families wouldn't be without its challenges. Pro Anton Du Beke has weighed in on why that would, of course, be difficult.
"Potentially we will end up in a hotel for a couple of weeks or a month. That's what has been spoken about and has been provisionally pencilled in. Everything else is contingencies but we're waiting for instructions and the situation is massively fluid at the moment so we will see what happens," he said.
"It will be lovely to be with my Strictly family - they are terrific and I love them all - but being without Hannah and the children will be difficult, especially after having all this time together. I'm hoping we're not going to have to do it but we will wait and see."
Judge Motsi Mabuse spoke about a recent series of Strictly's German equivalent, and how quarantine measures were used in that instance.
"We did have the dancers quarantined in the same hotel and everybody was very careful to really be really restricted from the studio to the hotel," she said.
"I guess if we want to take care of everyone's health we kind of have to stay together and there should be precautions so we are able to deliver the show," Motsi added.
Here's what else we know about the series, however it ends up looking...
Strictly 2020: judges
At the minute, there's a question mark over whether Bruno Tonioli will be able to judge this year's series.
“For years and years I’ve spent two days of each week on the plane flying between London and LA," Bruno told The Sun.
“I leave America on Wednesday and come back every Sunday but now it’s impossible and, because of the current travel restrictions, it’s beyond my control.
“Under normal circumstances I take a deep breath and do the travel. I love the show and love to do it and normally I’m destroyed by Christmas, but this year is different for everyone.
“Under the current restrictions they just won’t allow it. I don’t know what’s going to happen.”
Speaking to Digital Spy, Bruno's fellow judge Shirley Ballas said:
"All I can say is, I've known Bruno 11 years. If there is a way to fly backwards and forwards, he will find the way. If he has to walk on water, he will.
"But if it's not safe, then that's a different situation. But I know Bruno and Bruno will fly his little arms to (get there). I love him so much, and I know that he will give his all to get there."
Strictly 2020: Celebrity contestants
It's been rumoured that former Strictly contestant Jamie Laing will be returning to take part his year after sustaining a foot injury during rehearsals which forced him to quit in 2019.
The Made in Chelsea had been partnered with Oti Mabuse before being replaced by Emmerdale's Kelvin Fletcher, who went on to clinch the Glitterball.
"I don't know if they've asked him, but if they do, I hope he does it. He was lovely, so I hope he comes back and does it."
Other celebrity contestant predictions so far include Paralympic table tennis player Will Bayley, who also had to pull out of the show after sustaining a knee injury in week 6. Will had been paired with pro dancer Janette Manrara.
Vogue Williams was reportedly in talks to take part on the show last year after befriending the show's new booker Stefania Aleksander (via Heart), and has previously appeared on Dancing with the Stars in 2012, so she could be one to watch.
BBC news anchorman Huw Edwards was considering taking part last year (via Radio Times), but reportedly had to turn it down because of the December General Election. So could Huw be ready to waltz his way across the dance-floor later this year?
We'll keep you updated.
Strictly 2020: Pro dancers
The pro dancer line-up has been revealed as Aljaž Škorjanec, Amy Dowden, Anton Du Beke, Dianne Buswell, Giovanni Pernice, Gorka Marquez, Graziano Di Prima, Janette Manrara, Johannes Radebe, Karen Hauer, Katya Jones, Luba Mushtuk, Nadiya Bychkova, Nancy Xu, Neil Jones, and Oti Mabuse.
Former dancer Kevin Clifton - who won the series last year with celebrity partner Stacey Dooley - confirmed that he was leaving the show after seven years.
The 37-year-old star announced the news on Twitter, revealing that he was stepping down to focus on other aspects of his career.
"The past seven years have been some of the most wonderful of my life,"Kevin posted. "I am grateful to the BBC and Strictly Come Dancing for giving me the opportunity to have been part of something truly special."
Another pro not returning is AJ Pritchard. In a social media statement announcing his departure, AJ's team said:
"After four years on Strictly Come Dancing, AJ has decided the time is right to leave the show and follow his dreams to explore opportunities in the presenting world alongside his brother Curtis.
"AJ would like to thank the team at Strictly and everyone at the BBC for giving him such a brilliant opportunity.
"AJ would also like to send his love and gratitude to all who have followed and supported his career. He is excited for you all to join him on the next chapter of his journey."
Strictly 2020: air date
It's been reported the show will start in late October and run until late December, but that's not been confirmed by the BBC. Watch this space for more news.
Strictly Come Dancing airs on BBC One.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
You Might Also Like