The fast pace of modern life often makes it difficult to maintain a balanced diet and lifestyle.
But if you are feeling overwhelmed by work, have been eating too much junk food, or perhaps had too much wine in the sunshine, there's no time like September to get back on track by undertaking a "gentle" detox.
"There are no quick fixes to problems caused by poor diet, excess alcohol, and a stressful lifestyle. We live in a world of increasing amounts of environmental toxins which our physiology is not adapted to cope with," said Sally Duffin, registered nutritional therapist for Vitaminology.
"All these issues place additional strain on the detoxification organs and can contribute to ill health. Taking the time to review your diet and lifestyle habits and consider a gentle seasonal detox can give your body and mind the space and resources they need to stay well in the modern world."
Read on for a round-up of Sally's top tips for detoxing successfully.
1. Choose the right kind of detox plan to suit your dietary needs.
2. Carve out time in your schedule to enjoy your detox.
3. Make sure you have everything you need before you begin. For instance, foods, herbal teas, a dry skin brush, and a reflective journal.
4. Set an intention for your detox. You may want to break an addictive social media habit or commit to avoiding refined sugar. Write this down and leave it where you can see it every day.
5. Take it steady! A sudden switch to whole foods can be a surprise for your body. Try gradually tapering down the caffeine and processed foods while slowly introducing healthier alternatives.
6. Go at your own pace and allow time to notice any feelings and emotions that may arise.
7. Drink plenty of water and ensure daily, comfortable bowel movements - toxins need to leave the body via urine and faeces!