The Royal Family Have Responded To Meghan Markle And Prince Harry's Oprah Interview

Olivia Blair
·3-min read
Photo credit: Chris Jackson - Getty Images
Photo credit: Chris Jackson - Getty Images

From ELLE

A day after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's interview with Oprah Winfrey aired on UK TV, Buckingham Palace issued a response on behalf of the Queen.

The headline-dominating interview covered the extent to which the Duchess of Sussex says her mental health suffered while working as a senior member of the royal family, telling Winfrey she previously had suicidal thoughts, and claimed that when she turned to the Palace for help, she didn't receive any.

Other shocking claims centred around race, with the couple both claiming that 'concerns and comments' had been made within the family over 'how dark' their children's skin would be.

Though the full interview aired in the UK on Monday March 8 on ITV, it had been broadcast in the US the day before on CBS, leaving many viewers, commentators and spectators awaiting a response from the royal family.

On Tuesday, a statement was issued by Buckingham Palace on behalf of the Queen:

The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.

The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.

Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have not yet responded to this statement from their family.

Photo credit: Harpo Productions/Joe Pugliese - ITV
Photo credit: Harpo Productions/Joe Pugliese - ITV

In the interview, the couple spoke about how their relationship stands with the royal family, with both expressing sincere admiration and respect for the Queen and Prince Harry saying he has spoken more to his grandmother in the past year than he had in a long time.

As for the Duke of Sussex's relationship with his brother and father, this appeared less clear. Prince Harry said currently there is 'space' between himself and Prince William, who he 'loves to bits' and acknowledges the shared grief and trauma they have endured. He also claimed that when the couple were making the decision to step back as senior royals and make their January 2020 statement revealing as such, his father 'stopped taking my calls'.

Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

He continued to say that he feels very 'let down' by his father, adding: 'There's a lot to work through there. I feel really let down because he's been through something similar. He knows what pain feels like, and Archie's his grandson. At the same time I will always love him, but there's a lot of hurt that's happened.'

Prince Charles attended an NHS vaccine pop-up clinic on an official visit on Tuesday, the day after the ITV broadcast, but did not address his son and daughter-in-law's interview, even when asked directly by a reporter.

Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.

In need of more inspiration, thoughtful journalism and at-home beauty tips? Subscribe to ELLE's print magazine today! SUBSCRIBE HERE


You Might Also Like