This foolproof guide to cooking turkey proves there are only six steps to gourmet heaven.
1. Bring the bird up to room temperature.
2. Smear softened butter under the turkey skin and over the legs. Season well.
3. Weigh the turkey, after it has been stuffed, and calculate the cooking time.
4. Put the turkey on a rack set inside a roasting tin.
5. Cover the turkey and tin loosely with foil, sealing it well under the rim of the tin.
6. Roast at 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for the calculated cooking time, removing the foil 30 minutes before the end so that the skin can brown.