The Queen Makes First In-Person Appearance Since Missing Remembrance Sunday

·2-min read
Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images

Today, Queen Elizabeth II made her first in-person royal appearance since missing out on the Remembrance Sunday Service.

On Wednesday, November 17, the 95-year-old monarch met face-to-face with Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter, at Windsor castle, who is preparing to step down from his role at the end of the month.

During the meeting, Her Majesty shook hands and chatted with the general in Windsor’s Oak Room.

The monarch and head of the armed forces said it was ‘sad’ Gen Sir Nick was leaving.

In an exchange between the pair, the General said: ‘It is a long time. In fact, the only person who has done longer I'm told is Lord Mountbatten,’ in reference to his eight-year-long tenure as chief of defence. To which Her Majesty replied: ‘Oh really? Oh? I suppose if you get into that job, you know, it is easier to continue, isn't it really?’

The Queen’s appearance with the general was reassuring to see, as it was just last week when she pulled out of the Remembrance Sunday Cenotaph, a national event commemorating the British and Commonwealth military workers, due to her back sprain.

A statement released by Buckingham Palace ahead of the service read: ‘The Queen, having sprained her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend today's Remembrance Sunday Service at the Cenotaph. Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.’

And it’s not just The Queen’s absence from Remembrance Sunday that has sparked concerns – she’s only missed it six times in her 69-year reign.

Her Majesty also hasn’t been seen photographed while carrying out any engagements since she, alongside Prime Minister Boris Johnson, hosted a reception at Windsor Castle to mark the Global Investment Summit last month.

Though she met face-to-face with Johnson last week, no pictures of the meeting have surfaced.

The Queen, who recently enjoyed a private break at Sandringham estate, has remained at Windsor Castle during her back sprain recovery.

This comes amid concerns over the impact a car journey and a period of standing would have on her recovery.

The Queen, who is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, has since cancelled her appearance at General Synod – the first time she’s missed the five-yearly visit 51 years.

One thing’s for sure, Her Majesty's commitment to public service is unquestionable. We just hope she can get the necessary rest she deserves and needs.

You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting