The Queen makes first in-person appearance since missing Remembrance Sunday

·2-min read
Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images

The Queen has made her first in-person royal appearance since missing out on the Remembrance Sunday Service.

On Wednesday, 17 November, the 95-year-old monarch met face-to-face with Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter, at Windsor castle, as he prepares to step down from his role at the end of the month.

During the meeting, Her Majesty shook hands and chatted with the general in the castle's Oak Room.

Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images

The monarch, who is also 'Head of the Armed Forces,' said she was 'sad' that Gen. Sir Nick is leaving, adding: 'It's a long time.'

In an exchange between the pair, the General said: ‘It is a long time. In fact, the only person who has done longer I'm told is Lord Mountbatten,’ in reference to his eight-year-long tenure as Chief of Defence. To which Her Majesty replied: ‘Oh really? Oh? I suppose if you get into that job, you know, it is easier to continue, isn't it really?’

The Queen’s appearance was reassuring to see, as it was just last week that she pulled out of the Remembrance Sunday Cenotaph service, a national event commemorating the British and Commonwealth military staff, due to her back sprain.

A statement released by Buckingham Palace ahead of the service read: ‘The Queen, having sprained her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend today's Remembrance Sunday Service at the Cenotaph. Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.’

It’s not just the Queen’s absence from Remembrance Sunday that has sparked concerns – she’s only missed it six times in her 69-year reign.

Her Majesty hasn’t been seen photographed while carrying out any engagements since mid-October, when she hosted a reception at Windsor Castle to mark the Global Investment Summit.

Though reportedly she met face-to-face with Johnson last week, no pictures of the meeting have surfaced.

Photo credit: Max Mumby/Indigo - Getty Images
Photo credit: Max Mumby/Indigo - Getty Images

The Queen, who recently enjoyed a private break at Sandringham estate, has otherwise remained at Windsor Castle while convalescing after her back sprain injury.

This comes amid concerns over the impact that a car journey and a period of standing would have on her recovery.

The Queen, who is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, has also cancelled her appearance at the General Synod – the first time she’s missed the five-yearly visit in 51 years.

One thing’s for sure, Her Majesty's commitment to public service is unquestionable.

You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting