Prosecutors formally request to talk with Prince Andrew

Jessica Davis
Photo credit: Dan Kitwood - Getty Images

From Harper's BAZAAR

Prosecutors have requested access to speak with Prince Andrew for their criminal investigation into Jeffrey Epstein. Federal prosecutors in New York made the request, through the British government under a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty.

US Attorney Geoffrey Berman said in March that he would consider legal action, claiming that the prince’s representatives had declined an interview. However, Prince Andrew's legal team said he had offered help on "at least three occasions", according to the BBC.

“Contrary to Prince Andrew’s very public offer to cooperate with our investigation into Epstein’s co-conspirators, an offer that was conveyed via press release, Prince Andrew has now completely shut the door on voluntary cooperation,” Berman explained, according to NBC News.

Nicholas Biase, a spokesperson for the U.S.Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, told the publication that the office would decline to comment.

The Duke of York's legal team have denied claims that the royal hasn't cooperated with the investigation into late sex offender Epstein.

In a statement, the legal team said: "The Duke of York has on at least three occasions this year offered his assistance as a witness to the US Department of Justice (DoJ)".

"Unfortunately, the DoJ has reacted to the first two offers by breaching their own confidentiality rules and claiming that the duke has offered zero cooperation. In doing so, they are perhaps seeking publicity rather than accepting the assistance proffered."


Investigators have been attempting to talk with Prince Andrew for some time, after he was accused by one woman of sexual abuse and was a longtime friend of Epstein.

The prince won’t be returning to his official duties as a member of the royal family, who originally took a step back from his role in November last year, following an interview he gave about his relationship with Epstein.

The Sunday Times reported that “Prince Andrew, who stepped back from public life last year ‘for the foreseeable future’ will not resume official duties”.

In need of some at-home inspiration? Sign up to our free weekly newsletter for skincare and self-care, the latest cultural hits to read and download, and the little luxuries that make staying in so much more satisfying.

SIGN UP

You Might Also Like