- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Prince William has opened up about grief while speaking at the Manchester Cathedral memorial for those killed in the May 2017 bombing attack.
On Tuesday, the father-of-three was joined by his wife Kate Middleton for the 'Glade of Light' memorial. During a speech he told families: 'Catherine and I know that the atrocity’s impact will last a lifetime and beyond, and that the healing process is still on-going.
'We want to assure all of you who are struggling that you are very much in our thoughts.'
When speaking about his own grief, alluding to the loss of his late mother, Princess Diana, who died after a fatal car crash in Paris in 1997, he said: 'As someone who lives with his own grief, I also know that what often matters most to the bereaved is that those we have lost are not forgotten.'
Prince William, who was 15 years old when his mother died, continued: 'There is comfort in remembering. In acknowledging that, while taken horribly soon, they lived.
'They changed our lives. They were loved, and they are loved. It is why memorials such as the Glade of Light are so important. Why Catherine and I so wanted to be amongst you today.'
Middleton later laid a bouquet of white and blue flowers in the memorial garden.
The Manchester bombing, carried out by Salman Abedi at the end of an Ariana Grande concert, resulted in hundreds being injured and the deaths of 22 people, including six children under 16.
Last July, the Duke unveiled a bronze statue of Diana in the Sunken Garden alongside younger brother Prince Harry.
He has opened up about his grief on several occasions in recent years, including in January, during a visit to Church on the Street in Burnley, Lancashire, where he sympathised with a grieving schoolboy.
After learning that 11-year-old Deacon Glover lost his mother Grace Taylor last year, who died at the age 28, the father-of-three said: 'I know how you feel. It gets easier.'
Yesterday, Prince William made history when standing in for his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II at the State Opening of Parliament, marking his first time attending the opening.
According to the Daily Mail, the 96-year-old monarch watched the historic moment on television at Windsor Castle but was unable to attend the opening due to ongoing mobility problems. Her absence was the first time in 59 years that Her Majesty has missed the event, held at Palace of Westminster. The Queen last missed the event in 1963 when pregnant with her youngest child, Prince Edward.
On Monday, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson announced the news that Prince William would be filling in for Her Majesty. They stated: 'The Queen continues to experience episodic mobility problems, and in consultation with her doctors has reluctantly decided that she will not attend the State Opening of Parliament.
'At Her Majesty's request, and with the agreement of the relevant authorities, The Prince of Wales will read The Queen's speech on Her Majesty's behalf, with The Duke of Cambridge also in attendance.'
It was previously reported that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are planning a visit to their former home in Wales to help lead weekend celebrations for the longest-reigning monarch's Platinum Jubilee next month.
You Might Also Like