Prince Philip breaks his silence following month-long hospital stay

Jennifer Savin
·3-min read
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

From Cosmopolitan

UPDATE: Prince Philip has broken his silence after being discharged from his almost month-long hospital stay. The Duke of Edinburgh used to official Palace communications channel to release a heartfelt message of thanks to the staff who cared for him as he underwent treatment for an infection and surgery for a pre-existing heart condition.

The new statement from Buckingham Palace says, "His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII’s Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital and everyone who has sent their good wishes." Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is amongst the Prince's well-wishers, whose spokesperson said he "continues to wish Prince Phillip a speedy recovery".

Yesterday, Prince Charles, while out on a visit to Finsbury Park Mosque’s pop-up vaccination centre in North London, was asked about the good news of his father's improving health, and said that he is "thrilled" that Philip is now back at Windsor Castle with the Queen. He added it is "very good news" that his father is no longer in hospital.

While Philip was receiving medical care as an in-patient, Charles made a 200-mile round trip to check in on his father and stayed with him for around half an hour.

[15th of March 2021]: Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has been discharged from hospital almost one month to the day after he was initially admitted to London's King Edward VII Hospital as a "precautionary measure". A short time after his admittance, the Palace shared a statement explaining that "it was not an emergency and the illness is not COVID related". It was later confirmed the Duke was being treated for an infection.

Later, on 1 March, The Duke was transferred via ambulance from London's King Edward VII Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, a centre for excellence in cardiac conditions, where he underwent a "successful procedure" for a pre-existing heart condition. He was later transferred back to King Edward VII's to recover and remain under observation. The 28-night stay was the Duke's longest-ever in any hospital.

Royal reporter Chris Ship has tweeted that Prince Philip was able to walk to a car waiting for him outside the King Edward VII Hospital, which promptly drove him away (presumably back to Windsor Castle, so that he may be reunited with the Queen). Plenty of security was put in place too, with police officers arriving on motorcycles to join a dozen more officers waiting at the entrance of the hospital, ready to escort Philip home.

"BREAKING: It appears the Duke of Edinburgh has left hospital - 4 weeks after being admitted," said Ship. "He walked to a car at the rear of the King Edward VII hospital and was driven away. We await a formal statement from Buckingham Palace."

Photo credit: Neil Mockford - Getty Images
Photo credit: Neil Mockford - Getty Images

Prince Philip retired from royal duties in the autumn of 2017, and has been largely based on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk ever since. However, due to the coronavirus pandemic and the resulting lockdowns, the royal relocated to Windsor Castle so he could shield along with his wife, Queen Elizabeth.

Earlier this year, both Philip and Her Majesty underwent COVID-19 vaccinations, with their age giving both priority. The vaccines were administered by a household doctor at Windsor Castle.

The Duke will turn 100 years-old this coming June.

We're wishing Philip a continued restful and full recovery.

Cosmopolitan UK's current issue is out now and you can SUBSCRIBE HERE.

Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.

You Might Also Like