Prince Harry's request to lay Cenotaph wreath denied

Naomi Gordon
·2-min read
Photo credit: TOLGA AKMEN - Getty Images
Photo credit: TOLGA AKMEN - Getty Images

From Harper's BAZAAR

The Duke of Sussex was reportedly refused permission for a wreath to be laid at the Cenotaph on his behalf on Remembrance Sunday (November 8).

Prince Harry was said to have made a personal request to Buckingham Palace but "was denied by courtiers on the grounds that he is no longer representing the monarchy", The Sunday Times reports. Harry and Meghan stood back from their royal duties as senior members of the royal family earlier this year. The Queen was not made aware of his request.

The newspaper also claims that Prince Harry was saddened by the decision due to his close ties to the military, and it suggested a "growing gulf" between him and the royal family.

Harry spent ten years in the armed forces and created The Invictus Games in 2014. He first laid a wreath at the Cenotaph in 2009 when he was 25.

Last year, the duke and duchess paid their respects by laying a Cross of Remembrance in front of wooden crosses from the Graves of Unknown British Soldiers from the First and Second World Wars during their visit to Westminster Abbey.

Photo credit: KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH - Getty Images
Photo credit: KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH - Getty Images

Meanwhile, the 36-year-old duke is set to feature on the military podcast, Declassified this weekend ahead of Remembrance Day (November 11), which he described as a "moment for respect and for hope".

"Remembrance Day for me is a moment for respect and for hope," he said. "I wear it [the poppy] to celebrate the bravery and determination of all our veterans. These are the people and moments I remember when I salute, when I stand at attention and when I lay a wreath at the Cenotaph."

Harry added: "The act of remembering, of remembrance, is a profound act of honour. It’s how we preserve the legacies of entire generations and show our gratitude for the sacrifices they made in order for us to be able to live the lives we live today."

Photo credit: Getty Images
Photo credit: Getty Images

The Queen marked Remembrance Sunday by making a personal visit to the grave of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey to honour the centenary of his burial. The monarch wore a black face mask during the engagement.

The Queen's attendance was described as a "simple but deeply personal act".

"The grave of the Unknown Warrior is as relevant and poignant today as it was when Her Majesty's grandfather and father stood in the Abbey at its side 100 years ago," a royal aide said.

"It holds enormous significance for the country and the Royal Family. The Queen was keen that the centenary was marked appropriately."

In need of some at-home inspiration? Sign up to our free weekly newsletter for skincare and self-care, the latest cultural hits to read and download, and the little luxuries that make staying in so much more satisfying.

SIGN UP

You Might Also Like