At the beginning of July, chancellor Rishi Sunak announced the Eat Out To Help Out government scheme. The scheme was implemented to encourage people to get back into restaurants, cafes and pubs to try and improve the UK’s economy after it took one hell of a nosedive thanks to lockdown.
The initiative means that between Monday and Wednesday during August, the government has been covering half of the cost of a meal out at certain restaurants, up to £10 a head. This includes children’s meals and non-alcoholic drinks.
The scheme applies to food orders (not takeaways) placed Monday through to Wednesday between 3 and 31 August.
But now, a number of restaurants have said that they will continue to offer 50% off on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays for another month.
These restaurants include chains such as Prezzo, Bill's, Harvester and Pizza Pilgrims, who now say they will offer the discount in September.
Treasury figures recently showed that the discount had been used 64 million times in the UK. And Rishi Sunak said that the government scheme was supporting nearly two million jobs.
At the time of the Treasury figures announcement, Rishi said: "Today's figures continue to show that Brits are backing hospitality - with more than 64 million meals discounted so far, that's equivalent to nearly every person in the country dining out to protect jobs.
"This scheme has reminded us how much we love to dine out, and in doing so, how this is helping to protect the jobs of nearly two million people who work in hospitality."
At the beginning of August, the government launched an online tool so people could easily search for eligible restaurants. A range of posters was also released for participating restaurants to use.
These posters can be found in windows as well as on tables. They can also be used on websites and social media too, so you can check online before making a booking.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.