Has palm oil washed up on beaches this winter? (Dog owners warned)
Dog owners have been warned to keep an eye out for a potentailly fatal substance on beaches.
Large quantities of palm oil have been washing up along the coast up and down the country.
The waxy substance, which has a strong diesel-like smell, is potentially fatal for dogs, causing kidney damage and liver failure if eaten.
People are urged to be cautious when walking their dogs on beaches.
A spokesman for the Kennel Store, which sells dog kennels, said: “Keep an eye out to ensure your dog isn’t consuming palm oil accidentally.
"It is often found in a semi solid state, and it can pose a risk to dogs, causing blockages in the digestive system."
Diarrhoea, intestinal blockage, and pancreatitis are all symptoms of palm oil ingestion.
The spokesman said: "Palm oil ingestion is considered a veterinary emergency and needs to be dealt with quickly.
"Dogs have suffered from kidney damage and liver failure, so medical intervention is vital.
"Even if your dog has consumed a small amount, monitor them closely and if they show signs of becoming unwell, contact a vet as soon as possible."
People who spot palm oil on beaches should dial 999 and ask for the coastguard.
Once a report has been made, it will be investigated by the local authorities.
Brighton and Hove City Council and Wealden District Council both said they had not received any reports of palm oil so far this winter
Adur and Worthing Council said staff removed 20 bags of palm oil from the beaches in November but has had no reports since.