We may receive commission from purchases made via links on this page. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
When the COVID-19 pandemic first hit, there were a lot of questions about how to clean everyday items you come into contact with. One big issue was how to clean your phone, given that Apple clearly states online that using traditional cleaning products can scratch your phone.
That, combined with a shortage of bleach wipes and other go-to cleaning supplies led to a rise in people using UV sanitizing products to clean their phones, keys, and other commonly-used items. These UV sanitizers use the power of UV light — specifically UV-A or UV-C — to create a germicidal effect, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) explains.
While the devices aren’t FDA approved to kill SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, the FDA has this to say about them: “FDA believes that certain sterilizers, disinfectant devices, and air purifiers falling within the scope of this guidance may help reduce this risk of viral exposure based on our current understanding of these devices and SARS-CoV-2."
The use of UV light to sterilize objects isn't a new concept, Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease specialist and professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, tells Yahoo Life. In fact, it's often used to sterilize things in labs. “We’ve been doing this for years,” he says, noting that UV light damages the DNA of bacteria, and the DNA or RNA of viruses.
Interested in getting a UV sanitizer of your own? While these lights can get pricey, there's a top-rated wand that's marked a whopping 83 percent off at Amazon right now. It's called the Ontel Safe and Healthy UV-C Sanitizing Light and, for a limited time, it's just $3. (Not a typo.)
At 0.28 pounds, this wand is tiny but mighty. It uses UV-C light to help clean up to 99.9 percent of harmful viruses, germs and bacteria from surfaces, including E.coli, many flu viruses, rotavirus, RSV and rhinovirus.
This battery-operated wand can be used on all surfaces, including hard countertops, fluffy toys, and plush couches. To use it, simply turn it on and hold it over the area you want to sanitize for 10 seconds. That's it! When you're done, fold the light down and stash it away for next time.
This little wand has plenty of fans, including some who say they've actually conducted their own lab tests to see how effective it is. "Tested with agar plate, and it stopped bacteria growth as experiment done over two days," a five-star reviewer said. "Easy to use," a fellow fan said. "Bought a card to test the light that shows the light is working. I use it on my phone and masks."
Another satisfied customer raved about how simple it is to tote the wand around. "Easy to carry in a purse or backpack," they said. "I plan to use it on my next airplane trip!"
Again, this wand is only on sale for a limited time. After that, you're back to paying full price.
The reviews quoted above reflect the most recent versions at the time of publication.
Want to see more Amazon deals? Check them out below:
· TCL 40-inch 1080p Smart LED Roku TV, $230 (was $350), amazon.com
Headphone and earbud deals:
· Apple AirPods with Charging Case, $110 (was $159), amazon.com
· Sennheiser CX True Wireless Earbuds, $100 (was $130), amazon.com
Smartphone, smartwatch and tablet deals:
· Fire HD 8 Kids Pro tablet, $90 (was $140), amazon.com
· Redragon K552 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, $35 (was $40), amazon.com
Smart home deals:
· Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, $91 (was $130), amazon.com
· Kasa Indoor Pan/Tilt Smart Home Camera, $31 (was $40), amazon.com
· iRobot Roomba i7+, $749 (was $1,000), amazon.com
· Eufy by Anker BoostIQ RoboVac, $176 (was $280), amazon.com
· Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, $18 (was $27), amazon.com
· Covergirl Lash Blast Clean Volume Mascara, $4 (was $11), amazon.com
· Satina High Waisted Leggings for Women, $14 (was $20), amazon.com
· ANRABESS Womens Turtleneck, $30 (was $53), amazon.com
Bedding and home deals:
· MooMee Bedding Duvet Cover Set, $60 (was $90), amazon.com
· Queen Size Cooling Mattress Topper, $40 (was $60), amazon.com
· Homelike Moment Lightweight Comforter Set, $57 (was $90), amazon.com
· LuxClub 6 PC Sheet Set Bamboo Sheets, $35 (was $57), amazon.com
Read More from Yahoo Life:
Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Life's newsletter.