I Only Wear Dresses—Here's How I Style Them in Questionable Weather

·3-min read

As someone who avoids wearing trousers at all costs, I used to find spring relatively difficult to style myself for (particularly when we're in the midst of the coldest spring in decades). Dresses form 90% of my wardrobe, and over the years, I've worked out a few tricks for making them feel spring-like while remaining blissfully cosy, too. And it seems influencers also have discovered the knack for wearing frocks without freezing in the questionable weather we've been experiencing lately.

From simple layering tricks to the boots I always wear with midis and maxis, keep scrolling for six genius ways to style dresses in spring—until the temperatures start to rise at the very least.

BUY INTO MATCHING SETS

Right now, there are plenty of dresses that come with the option of buying a matching cardigan or jacket. As someone who's continuously cold, I favour this two-part outfit in spring.

SHOP THE LOOK

Never Fully Dressed Knitted Cardigan (£80)

Never Fully Dressed Knitted Slip Dress (£80)

BY FAR Amber Lizard-Effect Bag (£515)

LOOK FOR HIGH NECKLINES

Springtime weather can change from blue skies to torrential rain in seconds, so high necklines are your friend when it comes to affording you extra protection from the elements. You can even layer a thermal vest underneath for extra warmth should you need it. Button-up styles always look sleek; we love Grece's sunny yellow option.

SHOP THE LOOK

Celine Cat-Eye Sunglasses (£290)

COS Belted Shirt Dress (£69)

Russell & Bromley Double Sole Stomper (£275)

LAYER A ROLL-NECK UNDERNEATH

It's the hack fashion girls use throughout the colder months. Layering a roll-neck (preferably a thermal one) under a short-sleeve dress will keep the chill at bay and will give even the fanciest attire an off-duty downplay.

SHOP THE LOOK:

Arket Wide Poplin Dress (£79)

Marks and Spencer Pure Cashmere Roll Neck Jumper (£89)

Ganni Black Chunky Leather Chelsea Boots (£345)

THROW ON A BLAZER

If 90% of my wardrobe consists of dresses, what of the other 10%? It's largely blazers. Handily enough, they look great when paired together.

SHOP THE LOOK

Max Mara + Leisure Aia Twill Blazer (£380)

Ghost Gail Dress (£129)

& Other Stories Chunky Strap Heeled Leather Sandals (£85)

STYLE IT OVER JEANS

That's right—my favourite jeans outfit is one that includes a dress. When worn over vintage-esque blues, dresses with splits to the front work best with this look.

SHOP THE LOOK

Rixo Sonja Printed Dress (£140)

Levi's Ribcage Straight Ankle Jeans (£95)

Bottega Veneta Leather Pumps (£590)

ACCESSORISE WITH WHITE BOOTS

I love black footwear, I really do, but I find it can look too harsh against some dresses. So until sandal season arrives, I'll swap out my black boots in favour of white or ecru tones for a fresher, springtime take.

SHOP THE LOOK

Reformation Jacqueline Linen Dress (£248)

Elleme Brown Envelope Mock Croc Leather Shoulder Bag (£355)

Essentiel Antwerp Platform Ankle Boots (£235)

This post was originally published at an earlier time and has since been updated.

Next Up: Autumn/Winter 2021 Trends: The Only Fashion Looks You Need to Know

This article originally appeared on Who What Wear

Read More from Who What Wear

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting