Advertisement

I was minutes from death after taking ‘Barbie drug’ — everyone needs to be warned

Edith Eagle, 47, a stepmom of four from the UK, was minutes away from dying after using the TikTok-viral
Edith Eagle, 47, a stepmom of four from the UK, was minutes away from dying after using the TikTok-viral "Barbie drug" nasal spray tanner, Melanotan.

Dying to look all dolled up nearly cost this mom her life.

Edith Eagle, a 47-year-old stepmother of four, was rushed to the hospital in April 2023 after snorting a $32 self-tanning nasal spray, known as the TikTok-viral “Barbie Drug,” in the hopes of securing a haute hue ahead of a family vacation to the Canary Islands.

“I could’ve died that day,” Eagle, a chef and wedding venue owner from the UK, explained to Kennedy News and Media. “I will never again buy anything like this again — especially from the internet.”

Edith Eagle was minutes away from dying after using the TikTok-viral “Barbie drug” nasal spray tanner in April. Kennedy News and Media
Edith Eagle was minutes away from dying after using the TikTok-viral “Barbie drug” nasal spray tanner in April. Kennedy News and Media

Wanting a faux glow, the Gen Xer purchased a bottle of the bronzing booster Melanotan.

It’s a largely illegal drug that’s been touted online as a fake tan alternative in the wake of the ever-buzzy “Barbiecore” craze —  which has prompted wannabe pinups to pursue cosmetic procedures like “Barbie nose” rhinoplasty and “plastic package” upgrades to their private parts.

Folks who’ve used Melanotan to enhance their looks are reportedly at higher risk of developing skin cancer, kidney disease and erectile dysfunction.

But Eagle, who reportedly was encouraged to try the tanning substitute by her stepdaughter, Kayla Fox, wasn’t aware of the life-threatening dangers she faced.

“Kayla suggested getting a nasal tanning spray to me as a way to get a quick tan,” said Eagle. “We get tanned quite quickly anyway on holiday and were going away to Fuerteventura [in the Canary Islands].

“So I Googled it and saw it pop up online and ordered it,” she continued. “I like being tanned because I prefer not using makeup. I always liked looking fresh-looking with a tan.”

Eagle was initially delighted with how well the DIY darkener did the trick.

Eagle and her stepdaughter were pleasantly surprised with their chocolatey tints after using the spray. Kennedy News and Media
Eagle and her stepdaughter were pleasantly surprised with their chocolatey tints after using the spray. Kennedy News and Media

“On the first day, we were so brown, I’ve never experienced anything like it,” gushed the brunette. “I was very tanned after one day.”

And although she admittedly found it odd that the spray’s ingredients weren’t listed on its label, Eagle was tickled pink with her Barbie-like look.

But things quickly took a dark turn after just 24 hours of sun-kissed sexiness.

“The next morning, I woke up and realized I couldn’t breathe properly,” said Eagle. “I then noticed I was completely swollen.

“I was so out of breath and had to concentrate so much on breathing. It was really difficult to breathe,” she recalled.

“My neck was so swollen that my necklace was tight. I was just swollen everywhere,” added the mom. “I realized it must be an allergic reaction.”

The mom’s delight quickly turned to dread after her body swelled owing to the “poison” in the product. Kennedy News and Media
The mom’s delight quickly turned to dread after her body swelled owing to the “poison” in the product. Kennedy News and Media

Eagle was transported to a nearby emergency room, where healthcare providers immediately plied her with steroids to quell the spread of poison throughout her body.

“I’ve never had an allergic reaction in my whole life to any foods or anything,” said Eagle. “I think it was definitely the spray.

“There’s no ingredients on the bottle — you don’t know what you’re putting in the body.”

She credits fast-moving hospital workers with saving her life.

“I wouldn’t be standing here if the hospital staff hadn’t acted so quickly,” a grateful Eagle told Kennedy News. “I was rushed straight through. It was so frightening.”

In the months since the harrowing incident, Eagle and Fox have discovered a community of folks online who also allegedly faced near-death due to Melanotan.

Eagle and her family have taken to social media, warning other beauty wannabes against using the viral nasal spray tanner. Kennedy News and Media
Eagle and her family have taken to social media, warning other beauty wannabes against using the viral nasal spray tanner. Kennedy News and Media

“I’ve seen other people have reactions to the spray like me on social media and their symptoms are the exact same,” said Eagle.

Her stepdaughter has even issued a virtual advisory against the too-good-to-be-true nose juice.

“Please don’t use nasal tanners as this is what they can do to you,” read Fox’s warning post. “Poisoned my stepmum’s body and she’s had an allergic reaction. Stay away from them. The poison has been building up over time. They are so dangerous for some people.”

Eagle is additionally urging others to steer clear of the nasal nightmare.

Eagle blames herself for using the product without knowing its contents. Kennedy News and Media
Eagle blames herself for using the product without knowing its contents. Kennedy News and Media

“It was frightening for my family to see me like that,” she said. “I feel grateful to be alive.

“Please don’t make the same mistake as me,” Eagle begged.

“If this can save someone’s life then I would rather suffer for anyone else before they make a stupid decision like me!

“I blame myself.”