Medical Examiner Says Hospital Didn't Notify His Office of Baby's Decapitation Death, But Should Have

“It's our belief that the hospital should have contacted us and called us,” Brian Byars, director of the Clayton County Medical Examiner’s Office, recently told PEOPLE

<p>AP Photo/Sudhin Thanawala</p> Treveon Isaiah Taylor Sr. and Jessica Ross

AP Photo/Sudhin Thanawala

Treveon Isaiah Taylor Sr. and Jessica Ross

The medical examiner’s office that ruled the decapitation death of a Georgia baby during childbirth a homicide says the office was made aware of what happened by the funeral home, and not the hospital where the death took place.

The baby, Treveon Isaiah Taylor Jr., died on either July 9 or July 10 at Southern Regional Medical Center in Riverdale, Ga., according to a press release from the Clayton County Medical Examiner’s Office. But the office first heard about the baby’s decapitation on July 13, when it received a call from the Willie Watkins Funeral Home.

“It's our belief that the hospital should have contacted us and called us,” Brian Byars, director of the Clayton County Medical Examiner’s Office, told PEOPLE in a recent interview.

“The circumstances, because there were a lot of unanswered questions and cause for trauma, we think we should have been contacted. And that's the reason we took jurisdiction over the case when we were notified," Byars said, adding that his office told law enforcement what had happened.

Related: Here's Why Parents of Baby Decapitated During Birth Think Hospital Tried to Conceal What Happened

The child’s parents, Jessica Ross and Treveon Isaiah Taylor Sr., also claim they didn’t know the specifics of the baby’s death until days later, according to a fraud and negligence lawsuit they filed against the hospital last August.

<p>Ben Gray/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP</p> Jessica Ross and Treveon Isaiah Taylor Sr.

Ben Gray/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP

Jessica Ross and Treveon Isaiah Taylor Sr.

“They were unaware, they were told that the baby didn’t make it,” Cory Lynch, an attorney representing the parents, recently told PEOPLE. “They were not told of the condition of the body.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

Though it is possible criminal charges could result from the incident, the cause of death being listed as homicide does not necessarily indicate a crime has been committed, but instead means a person’s actions caused the death.

Related: Parents Whose Baby Was Decapitated During Birth Didn't Know What Happened to Child for 3 Days: Lawyer (Exclusive)

At a press conference Wednesday, Lynch and fellow attorney Roderick Edmond claimed when the couple asked to see their baby, hospital staff tightly wrapped the baby and propped up his head, which the parents believe constituted an attempt to conceal what had happened to their child.

“Lies and cover ups,” Edmond alleged.

Byars, of the medical examiner’s office, confirmed that the office was shown a picture of a tightly swaddled baby.

Related: Doctor Hired for Autopsy Is Accused of Photographing Decapitated Baby and Posting Photo on Instagram

"It looked like they presented a very healthy, very good looking, beautiful child,” he told PEOPLE.

The parents' complaint against the hospital also alleges that hospital officials encouraged the parents to cremate the baby’s remains and told them that an autopsy “was not needed,” which the couple believes was an attempt to destroy evidence.

Related: What's Next in Disturbing Case of Baby Decapitated During Birth?

"We just want justice for our son,” Treveon Sr. said at Wednesday's press conference. Referencing hospital staff, he alleged, “They lied to us.”

After the death was ruled a homicide, Southern Regional Medical Center told CNN it could not comment due to the pending litigation.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.