Matt Hancock declared Liz Truss’s political career 'over' as he talked about the government with his I’m A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! campmates.
The 44-year-old shared his thoughts on Truss – who lasted just 45 days as the Prime Minister - as camp chat turned to whether Rishi Sunak was still in position.
“Yeah, he will be,” Hancock said, before Sue Cleaver asked the former health secretary what he thought had gone wrong with Truss.
Credit: I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! / ITV
- What do you think went wrong, Matt?
MATT HANCOCK: With Liz?
MATT HANCOCK: In a way, they were unlucky in that globally interest rates were all went up just at the time that they were also bringing in financial statements, where you say we're going to do all these expensive things, and we're not going to say how we're going to pay for them.
- Where does that love her now?
MATT HANCOCK: It's her political career is over.
- What do you-- do you think her political career is totally, totally gone?
MATT HANCOCK: Yeah, no ambiguity at all.
- Why do you think Tory party members went for the less experienced or the--
MATT HANCOCK: Oh, I think that is all about how Boris got kicked out. It was all about people seeing Rishi as the-- as wielding the knife against Boris.
- And so they-- they decided to, one could argue, punish the country, the entire country, by putting someone in place who has less experience.
MATT HANCOCK: That implies a malign motive, which isn't fair. But they definitely put the disloyalty to Boris as a negative.