The man convicted of Grace Millane's murder will appeal his sentence

Abigail Malbon
Photo credit: Rex

From Cosmopolitan

The man convicted of murdering New Zealand backpacker Grace Millane has begun the process of appealing against both his murder conviction and jail sentence, according to his barrister.

Confirming the appeal, Rachel Reed QC said: “I can confirm that I am now acting and that an appeal against conviction and sentence has been filed.

“No further statement or comment will be made.”

Photo credit: Rex

The murderer, who cannot be named until 2021 due to strict NZ rules, was last month sentenced to life imprisonment, after having been found guilty of Grace's murder last year by a New Zealand jury who took just five hours to reach their verdict.

Jurors in November dismissed the 28-year-old's defence that Grace died in a 'sex game gone wrong' and instead chose to convict him for strangling the 21-year-old to death and burying her body in a suitcase in woodland just outside Auckland. On February 21 in New Zealand, Justice Moore sentenced him to life imprisonment with a non-parole period of 17 years.

Defence lawyers Ian Brookie and Ron Mansfield had asked for the sentence given to be 12-years, and indicated that the killer would be appealing.


During sentencing, Justice Moore told the defendant his actions amounted to "conduct that underscores a lack of empathy and sense of self-entitlement and objectification".

He added: “Manual strangulation is a particularly intimate form of violence … cold-blooded.Your actions reveal a complete disregard for your victim.

“You didn’t ring an ambulance, or call the police, instead you embarked on a well-planned and sustained and coordinated course of action to conceal any evidence of what had occurred in your room.”

Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.

SIGN UP

You Might Also Like