"It's a great recipe to bake with the kids," says the 'Brilliant Bites' cookbook author
Maegan Brown's Halloween recipe is all treat, no trick.
The mummified bites are simply apple slices wrapped in ribbons of store-bought pie dough, making them "so approachable" for home cooks, according to the author of the Brilliant Bites cookbook.
“They’re quick to make and easy to eat — and it’s a great recipe to bake with the kids,” says Brown of the recipe that comes together in 30 minutes. "Not everyone has the time to commit to baking a full pie from scratch. These satisfy those pie cravings."
Not a fan of apples? Ripe but firm peaches or pears “would work beautifully with this recipe,” adds Brown.
Maegan Brown’s Mini ‘Mummy’ Apple Pies
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 large or 2 medium Honeycrisp apples (about 8 oz.)
All-purpose flour, for dusting
½ (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrusts
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, divided
Caramel sauce, warmed
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
2. Slice apple into 20 (¼-inch-thick) slices, and place in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture; toss to coat apple slices evenly.
3. On a lightly floured cutting board, using a rolling pin, roll out piecrust into a 10-inch square. Brush with half of the melted butter, then sprinkle with half of the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture, covering the dough completely. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into 20 (½-inch-thick) strips.
4. Wrap each apple slice loosely in a strip of the dough, with the cinnamon-sugar side of dough touching the apple. Tuck in ends of the dough strips, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush dough-wrapped apple slices all over with remaining melted butter, then sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven until crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Use caramel sauce to attach candy eyeballs. Serve with warm caramel sauce for dipping.
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.