The 42-year-old, who in more recent years has become better known for his outspoken views, had revealed Front, 56, had blocked him on the social media site.
The pair, who had been friends for ten years, had a falling out over the Black Lives Matter movement, with Fox having previously said that he believes ‘All Lives Matter’ in a column in The Spectator.
In a now deleted tweet, Fox asked Front in a text message: “Why would you block me? Have I said anything that could upset you? What a shame. Anyway, you are never blocked from me.”
The Thick of it star Front, who played Jean Innocent opposite Fox’s James Hathaway in Lewis, replied: “Oh Lol, I think it was the #AllLivesMatter stuff that finally tipped me over the edge.
“It seems to me so glaringly obvious that All Lives Matter – you’d have to be a psychopath to disagree – that it should be equally obvious it doesn’t need a slogan. Black Lives are systematically undervalued. Their work opportunities are fewer, their health outcomes far worse, the criminal justice system works against them. I think the least we can do is let them have a f***ing slogan.
“But there are many, many things we clearly disagree on and, fond as I am of you, looking at your Twitter feed I just felt uncomfortable about the company you’re keeping.
“I’m sorry. I wish you and your lovely boys well. We’ll just have to agree to differ.”
Fox replied: "'The least we’re can do is let them have a f***ing slogan.'” Jesus.
Earlier I tweeted a private text message. It isn’t true to my values to make a private conversation public just to make a point. I regret it. I would like to apologise to @RebeccaFront for doing so. I’m going to delete the tweet and try to build bridges rather than burn them.— Laurence Fox 🇭🇰 (@LozzaFox)September 10, 2020
“It’s ok to disagree. But it’s the right thing to do to talk first before you cancel me. Especially given how racist the phrase you just wrote is. I thought we had more in common.”
The actor accompanied the message with the tweet: ‘This is the most painful cancellation I have had yet. From someone I spent 10 happy years working with, many lovely family dinners and lots and lots of laughs. Someone I thought was a friend. #AllLivesMatter.”
However, Fox has since apologised for his actions, which saw both stars trending on Twitter.
Thank you to my many lovely friends, old and new.
An apology has been made, so let’s all move on.— Rebecca Front (@RebeccaFront)September 10, 2020
“Earlier I tweeted a private text message. It isn’t true to my values to make a private conversation public just to make a point,” he said. “I regret it. I would like to apologise to Rebecca Front for doing so. I’m going to delete the tweet and try to build bridges rather than burn them.”
Front herself wrote: “Thank you to my many lovely friends, old and new. An apology has been made, so let’s all move on.”
The Evening Standard has reached out for reps for Fox and Front for further comment.
Watch: Reality Check with Baga, Blu and Vinegar: Pyjama Party Special