The Last Of Us fans can rest easy. The buzzy Emmy-nominated series’ co-creator Neil Druckmann tells EW in an interview, “We’ve outlined all of season 2 and we’re ready to go as soon as the strike ends.”
The Last Of Us was renewed in January, shortly after the adaptation of the popular PlayStation video game premiered, quickly becoming a pop culture phenom. By May 1, when the writers strike began and script work was put on hold, the new season had already taken shape, The Last of Us co-creator/executive producer Craig Mazin told Deadline in an interview tied to the series’ big showing on Emmy nominations day, confirming the new writers who had joined him and fellow co-creator/EP, the game’s Druckmann, for Season 2.
More from Deadline
“We got pretty far actually, we were doing great,” Mazin said.
Druckmann, developer of the viral video game and co-creator of the series with Mazin, also weighed on the long-awaited third video game in The Last of Us series. “As far as the next game at Naughty Dog, I can’t say anything,” he told EW. “My comms director over there will slaughter me.”
As Deadline revealed in March, Season 2 will be based in Vancouver as a significant part of the story in The Last Of Us Part II video game, which next season will draw upon, is set in the Pacific Northwest.
The Last of Us garnered 24 Emmy nominations, including Outstanding Drama Series, becoming the first live-action adaptation of a video game to accomplish that feat.
Nellie Andreeva contributed to this report.
Best of Deadline