King Charles III is speaking out for the first time publicly after being diagnosed with cancer.
On Saturday, Buckingham Palace released a statement on the 75-year-old monarch’s behalf, where he shared his appreciation for the support he has received amid his recent health news.
More from The Hollywood Reporter
“I would like to express my most heartfelt thanks for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days,” King Charles said. “As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement.”
The statement continued, “It is equally heartening to hear how sharing my own diagnosis has helped promote public understanding and shine a light on the work of all those organisations which support cancer patients and their families across the U.K. and wider world. My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is all the greater as a result of my own personal experience.”
Earlier this week, Buckingham Palace revealed that the King had been diagnosed with a form of cancer, writing that he “remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty soon.”
Though officials did not share what type of cancer the King has or at what stage, they did confirm that it is not prostate cancer. The King was hospitalized last month due to surgery for an enlarged prostate.
Buckingham Palace said the monarch will begin receiving regular treatments.
Prince Harry also returned to the U.K. this week for just 24 hours to visit with his father following the shocking revelation of his cancer diagnosis.
Best of The Hollywood Reporter