• Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Kevin Spacey faces formal extradition to UK over four sex abuse charges

·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Kevin Spacey could face formal extradition orders to Britain credit:Bang Showbiz
Kevin Spacey could face formal extradition orders to Britain credit:Bang Showbiz

Kevin Spacey is facing being extradited to Britain over four sexual assault charges.

British authorities are reportedly seeking the return of the ‘House of Cards’ actor from the US to the UK after he was charged with the alleged sex offences last week.

The incidents involve three men, now in their thirties and forties, and allegedly took place in London between March 2005 and August 2008, and in Gloucestershire in April 2013.

Spacey, 62, as also been charged with causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Nick Vamos, former head of extradition at the CPS, said US Department of Justice officials would study papers sent from the UK.

They would have to be satisfied there was “probable cause” the offences may have been committed and if so police officers would be instructed to locate and detain Spacey.

Vamos told The Guardian: “They will be under an obligation to arrest him. The US Department of Justice will task US marshals to find Mr Spacey and take him to a federal court. He always had the option of surrendering and not contesting extradition.”

He added Spacey could be extradited in weeks if he does not contest the move – and months if he does resist.

A special unit of the Home Office, the international criminality directorate, would act on behalf of police authorities and prosecutors.

Spacey cannot be formally be charged until he returns to Britain.

The charges follows a review of evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police from its previous investigation into sexual assault claims against ‘The Usual Suspects’ actor, which started in 2017.

The actor has denied all allegations of wrongdoing.

Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS special crime division, said the service had “authorised criminal charges” against the Hollywood veteran, who was artistic director of the Old Vic theatre in London from 2004 to 2015.

The actor’s new film ‘Peter Five Eight’ is his first leading role in five years and was screened at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this month.

Producers of the drama have defended the actor against the charges when they were announced on Thursday (26.05.22.)

They told The Hollywood Reporter: “While it’s unfortunate that increased negative press is timed with Kevin returning to work, it’s also to be expected.

“There are those who wish for him not to act, but they are outnumbered by fans worldwide who await an artist they have enjoyed for decades returning to the screen.

“The production has no knowledge or comment on the various swirling allegations, and believe it’s a matter for the courts to determine validity if it exists. ‘Peter Five Eight’ is a film for fans who care more for the art than the scandal.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting