Jonathan Majors’ domestic assault case has been prolonged again.
The actor was expected to receive his sentence on Tuesday, a month after he was convicted of assaulting and harassing his ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari. However, the sentencing was delayed to April 8 due to motions filed by his legal team to set aside the verdict. Judge Michael Gaffey said the new date will give prosecutors time to respond to the motion, which was filed on Monday.
More from Variety
Majors didn’t attend Tuesday afternoon’s hearing in person and instead appeared virtually because he lives out of state. Based on his charges, he could face up to a year in jail.
In late 2023, a Manhattan jury found the Marvel actor guilty of two misdemeanor counts of harassment and assault but acquitted him on two other counts stemming from an incident that occurred last March.
Shortly after the guilty verdict, Majors was fired from Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe, in which he played the villainous Kang the Conqueror and was expected to appear in upcoming installments, including 2026’s “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.” Previously following his arrest, he was dropped following by his manager, Entertainment 360, and his publicity firm, the Lede Company. He remains repped by the talent agency WME.
Majors met Jabbari in 2021 on the set of Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” in which he starred alongside Paul Rudd and she worked as a movement coordinator. The actor was arrested on March 25, 2023 after he assaulted Jabbari in the backseat of a private vehicle. During the two-week trial, Jabbari testified that she grabbed her then-boyfriend’s phone after seeing a text message from another woman. She told jurors that Majors forcefully retrieved his phone from her, resulting in injuries to her head and finger.
Majors denied that he assaulted Jabbari. He did not testify during the trial, but his defense team alleged that Jabbari was the aggressor in the vehicle that night. According to his defense attorney Priya Chaudhry, Majors still “has faith in the process and looks forward to fully clearing his name.”
After the verdict, Majors spoke out for the first time during a “Good Morning America” interview, in which he continued to deny any wrongdoing and said he only regrets not breaking up with Jabbari sooner.
“I shouldn’t have been in the car. I shouldn’t have been in the relationship,” Majors told ABC News anchor Linsey Davis in January. “If I’m not in the car, none of this is happening. If I leave the relationship, none of this is happening. If I’m man enough or brave enough to say, ‘I want to see someone else’ or ‘I’m done now,’ I’m not in that car. We’re not here. I’m responsible for those things.”
Best of Variety