The Metropolitan Police has lost its Supreme Court challenge over a ruling which led to two women who were sexually assaulted by London cabbie John Worboys winning compensation.
The court ruled the force did breach the human rights of the women by failing to properly investigate reports of his crimes.
Between 2002 and 2008, Worboys, who was jailed for life in 2009, carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults using alcohol and drugs to stupefy his victims.
In 2014, after the High Court found that the Met were liable to the women for failures in its investigation, it said that DSD and NBV – who brought their claims under Article 3 of the Human Rights Act which relates to inhuman or degrading treatment – should receive £22,250 and £19,000 respectively.
The Met, with the Home Office - under then-Home Secretary Theresa May - intervening in support, went to the Supreme Court after the Court of Appeal backed the decision.
It said the case is being pursued to establish legal principles for the future and the women, who showed “considerable bravery”, would keep their damages whatever the outcome.
Earlier this month, DSD and NBV welcomed a ruling which gave them and London Mayor Sadiq Khan the go-ahead to challenge what they describe as the Parole Board’s “irrational” decision to release Worboys.
Worboys, 60, will remain in prison pending a full High Court hearing on March 13.