Jamal Edwards' mum confirms his death was "caused by taking recreational drugs"

·3-min read
Photo credit: TOLGA AKMEN - Getty Images
Photo credit: TOLGA AKMEN - Getty Images

Jamal Edwards died from cardiac arrhythmia – an abnormality of the heart's rhythm – after taking recreational drugs, his mother Brenda Edwards has confirmed.

The music producer, who rose to fame in 2006 when he founded SBTV at just 15-years-old, died on 20 February 2022 at the age of 31. Announcing his shock death, Loose Women's Brenda said on Twitter at the time that he had passed away from a "sudden illness".

Now, four months on from Jamal's tragic passing, Brenda has revealed his cause of death to be a heart attack. "I have sadly learned that the cause of Jamal's devastating passing was due to cardiac arrhythmia," she wrote in a statement.

"[This was] caused by having taken recreational drugs and I wanted to address this myself to everyone who loved, admired and respected my son," the TV presenter added. "Since finding out the news I've been in a state of shock, and I am still trying to process it. But it's so important to me that I do address it as no mother or any loved one should have to go through what Jamal's sister, Tanisha, and I have been through since he passed."

Speaking about the loss of her son, and the legacy he has left behind, the 53-year-old said he had the "world at his fingertips" adding that his "zest for life" was "unwittingly taken away far too soon".

"Yet we have to come to terms with what has happened, and Jamal is proof that this can happen to anyone," she continued, referencing the use of drugs that lead to Jamal's passing. "These types of substances are extremely unpredictable, and we can only hope that this will encourage others to think wisely when faced with similar situations in the future. His passing has shown that any one bad decision on any one occasion can lead to devastating consequences.

"It's so important that we help drive more conversation about the unpredictability of recreational drugs and the impact that they can have - how it takes just one bad reaction to destroy lives."

Brenda's statement was released after an inquest into her son's death – which occurred at her home in Acton in February – was opened and adjourned at West London Coroner's Court.

"He came home late one evening, after which he became increasingly agitated and suffered a cardiac arrest," Assistant Coroner Catherine Wood said at the hearing. "He was deteriorating despite treatment and died on 20 February of this year. A post-mortem has been undertaken and I have reason to suspect that the death was an unnatural death."

The inquest will resume in eight weeks.

Our thoughts are with Brenda and Jamal's family and friends at this heartbreaking time.

For more information on drug-taking, visit Talk to Frank.


You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting