For the past two weeks, J.J. Watt’s been leading a monumental effort to help the city of Houston rebuild in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. So it came as no surprise when NRG Stadium erupted as he returned to the NFL field for the first game in the regular season on Sunday.
Watt has helped raise more than $31 million since Aug. 27 after setting a modest $200,000 goal. With the Texas flag proudly raised during his introduction, Watt greeted the crowd and rushed to meet his teammates.
More NFL coverage from Yahoo Sports:
• Tony Romo earns high praise in NFL broadcast debut
• After just one half, Texans make a QB change
• Matt Stafford throws priciest pick-six in NFL history
• Browns, police unite after anthem protest issue
• New report spells more trouble for Luck, Colts