Frank Lampard breaks silence on Everton sack; ‘two frontrunners’ emerge ‘after talks’ with club
Frank Lampard has broken his silence after he was sacked by Everton and he is “disappointed” that he could not have “achieved more” before his exit.
The Chelsea legend took over at Everton in January 2022 following Rafael Benitez’s ill-fated spell in charge.
Lampard managed to keep Everton in the Premier League last season as they finished ahead of Leeds United and Burnley in 16th.
But the Toffees have been unable to move forward this season as they are again in the middle of a relegation battle.
Everton are without a win in ten games across all competitions and they are joint-bottom of the Premier League along with Southampton.
Lampard has now spoken out on his dismissal. He has insisted that he will “always be proud of the incredible work” done to save Everton from relegation last season.
“Coming in to Everton last year I knew we were in a tough moment and I will always be proud of the incredible work and support from everyone involved to keep the team in the Premier League last season,” Lampard wrote via Instagram.
“Thanks to everybody that played their part as the whole club came together. I will never forget the incredible night against Palace that we shared.
“I want to thank all Evertonians for the welcome that you gave to myself, my staff, and my family. It truly is a special club with a huge heart, and an incredible history.
“I’m disappointed that we couldn’t achieve more together and wish all the players and everyone at Everton FC the very best for the future.”
Everton’s board are now looking to appoint Lampard’s successor before their game on February 4 against Arsenal in the Premier League.
Sky Sports are reporting that Marcelo Bielsa and Sean Dyche are the ‘two frontrunners’ for the role.
Ex-Leeds United boss Bielsa is said to be flying into London for talks with the club. It is said that he and Dyche ‘impressed’ when they met Everton’s hierarchy ‘over the past few days’.
It is said that the Toffees ‘remain hopeful’ that they will be able to make an appointment ‘before this weekend’.
The Athletic’s David Ornstein has stated that owner Farhad Moshiri “will do everything he can” to get Bielsa.
“I’ve got huge respect for Sean Dyche and I think he would do a good job if he went in at Everton,” Ornstein said.
“It is not Farhad Moshiri’s first choice, however. That is Bielsa. I think Moshiri will do everything he can to get the deal for Bielsa over the line.
“Whether it is deemed the right one and whether it is deemed the right one by other at Everton as well, I really don’t know.
“I suspect there will be some in favour of someone like Dyche to get them out of this mess and try to rebuild. He would come with a smaller staff, and it would be a less complicated deal to strike.”
He adds: “From things you hear, I think Dyche would be up for the job, and it may be harder to convince Bielsa, but it is not a good situation for Everton. It’s a bit of a mess at the club.”
READ MORE: Newcastle interest suggests we were wrong about £40m Anthony Gordon, not Chelsea
The article Frank Lampard breaks silence on Everton sack; ‘two frontrunners’ emerge ‘after talks’ with club appeared first on Football365.com.